Foundations - First course below DPC

This is obviously a geographical thing. In my neck of the woods a 'common' invariably means a concrete common. If we're talking about a clay common we expressly say 'clay common'.

Imho any brick used below ground level should be an engineering brick, unless specified otherwise.

Sponsored Links
This is obviously a geographical thing. In my neck of the woods a 'common' invariably means a concrete common. If we're talking about a clay common we expressly say 'clay common'.

Imho any brick used below ground level should be an engineering brick, unless specified otherwise.

hi hotrod.

we too have concrete commons here in staffs. they look similar to the lightweight coursing bricks and are indeed heavy and hard.

a heck of a lot of homes round here had the interior built with lbc commons or 'site commons' ie unwanted facing bricks. so when we older builders talk about commons we are talking about clay commons. ;)

a majority of modern builds in staffs either uses red or blue engineering bricks and i subscribe to this also.

Are we talking Ryarsh silica bricks or actual concrete bricks?
ryarsh thats the name i was thinking of,hey brikie before the inspector inspects my new small extension do you think i should take out the half bats each corner of old build and bed new damp into it or just chase out a groove its a slate damp on old ?

I personally think new work should be toothed in so that would answer your question, but why ask me? Your a brickie too aintcha?

I would also lay a modern dpc and then put a slate course thru as well to match in.

But thats just me..... :rolleyes:

Are we talking Ryarsh silica bricks or actual concrete bricks?
ryarsh thats the name i was thinking of,hey brikie before the inspector inspects my new small extension do you think i should take out the half bats each corner of old build and bed new damp into it or just chase out a groove its a slate damp on old ?

I personally think new work should be toothed in so that would answer your question, but why ask me? Your a brickie too aintcha?

I would also lay a modern dpc and then put a slate course thru as well to match in.

But thats just me..... :rolleyes:
lol at putting a slate course through,this gets better and better, odd job man lol

Sponsored Links
Are you saying I wear a bowler hat am slightly plump and and look oriental?

Phew,

I've had a read and as far as I can make out I should build using blocks like these : - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100mm-7n-conc...yZ112389QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are they cheap @ 60p each ?

They should be layed across the cavity for the first course and then normally for the remaining courses upto 150mm above ground level - and then the cavity filled with concrete. Am I right ?

One follow on question - the building will be rendered so should I continue using these blocks to build the rest ? Also, for the internal leaf should I use these blocks or the lighter blocks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back