Foundations - First course below DPC

ESA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should the first course below DPC be layed across the cavity or in the normal open cavity formation ? and do you use conc common brick for the first course or concrete block ?

Sponsored Links
A typical cavity would continue to 2 course below ground and the cavity below this filled with lean concrete. Depending on the design, insulation would also continue within the cavity 150mm below DPC

No bricks are laid across the cavity.

Common bricks should not be used below DPC on the external leaf. The bricks from DPC down to 225mm below ground should be frost resitant - and commons are not.

i concur with woody.

we lean-mix fill our cavities to within 225mm of the dpc.

recently, architects have been specifying cavity batts below dpc.

dritherm subscribe to this method and guarantee that their product will not wick any water in the sub-dpc trough.

i concur with woody.

we lean-mix fill our cavities to within 225mm of the dpc.

recently, architects have been specifying cavity batts below dpc.

dritherm subscribe to this method and guarantee that their product will not wick any water in the sub-dpc trough.
ok nose ,just like not being able to lay a common below damp , so every house you seen built in sand face flittons all have engineering bricks below damp, i think not ,you might be woody your self iam not sure but some one is sure giving out wrong information,probaly why site called diy not .com? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
to comply with current building reg's all bricks below dpc must not be less than 40n F.L. quality and blocks must be no less than 7n dense, all laid in 3:1 mortar.

to comply with current building reg's all bricks below dpc must not be less than 40n F.L. quality and blocks must be no less than 7n dense, all laid in 3:1 mortar.
answer my question please, all new house built in sand face flittons all have enigineering bricks below damp,thats what hes applying , and you agree, your totaly wrong and you know it, if i look out my window now theres a new build with sand face flittons coming out of the ground ,how do you explain that ? by the way a sand face flitton is the same as common ie flitton , where do you get your information from? :cool:

i could not give a rats ass as to what is going on outside your window.

if the bricks comply to reg's then it is not a problem. if they do not, and building control make a point of it, then you will have been extremely unwise in your choice of bricks.

only a fool would run the risk of using non-conforming brick at such an early stage of the job.

there may even be common bricks that have 40n f.l. rating, who knows?

No-one said anything about engineering bricks, or not being able to use facing bricks.

The requirement is that the bricks have an appropriate frost resistance (FL rating)

A common brick is not a facing brick, and yes you may have a new build using facing bricks out of the ground, but common bricks would not be acceptable

No-one said anything about engineering bricks, or not being able to use facing bricks.

The requirement is that the bricks have an appropriate frost resistance (FL rating)

A common brick is not a facing brick, and yes you may have a new build using facing bricks out of the ground, but common bricks would not be acceptable
i cant bear this no more , woody a sand face flitton is a common with sand blasted into it you mug , your getting on my nerves now , think il retire and phone a few of my m8s and tell them about this site , some of them need a good laff :LOL:

No.

There are common bricks, and there are facing bricks.

A common brick can be used as a 'facing' brick in a wall, but its still a common brick.

A common brick is generally regarded as something like the pink smooth LBC common bricks.

A facing brick (or sand faced flitton) as you prefer (should be fletton but there you go) is fired differently to a common brick, and therefore generally has a superior FL rating - but not guaranteed.

FNT aka "bricky instructor" (Wednesdays) and "bricky_instructor" (Thursdays), you may not know much about bricklaying, but you are good for a laugh, and brighten up the forum.

joker.gif

common bricks, (concrete) can be bought with the brushed face on, and I have built to many houses/apartments, to count the number of times these have been used below dpc, coming up from ground level. used to be called danygraig brick, but now called consolidated

common bricks, (concrete) can be bought with the brushed face on, and I have built to many houses/apartments, to count the number of times these have been used below dpc, coming up from ground level. used to be called danygraig brick, but now called consolidated
make you right taw :LOL:

A common brick is made of clay

You can't get a common brick made of concrete - that will be a concrete brick. And even if there are lots of them, they are easily obtainable, or come from the Essex/Ipswich area - they will never be common bricks

Concrete brick of suitable compressive and frost rating can be used below DPC.

A common brick is made of clay

You can't get a common brick made of concrete

Well I beg to differ, I have been a brickie for 20 years, I and all other brickies I know, will say a common brick is a flat smooth concrete brick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back