Foundations - First course below DPC

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Should the first course below DPC be layed across the cavity or in the normal open cavity formation ? and do you use conc common brick for the first course or concrete block ?
anything bout bricks esa dont hestitate to ask me have good weekend :D

Are we talking Ryarsh silica bricks or actual concrete bricks?
ryarsh thats the name i was thinking of,hey brikie before the inspector inspects my new small extension do you think i should take out the half bats each corner of old build and bed new damp into it or just chase out a groove its a slate damp on old ?

external ground level should be 150mm (min) below dpc.

this generally leaves 2 bricks visible below damp.

it is these 2 courses of bricks that are the most vulnerable to frost.

the bricks lower down may absorb water also, but are not as exposed to the freezing weather.

only a complete fool would risk laying an absorbent brick below dpc, regardless of b'regs or architects specifications. :rolleyes:

external ground level should be 150mm (min) below dpc.

this generally leaves 2 bricks visible below damp.

it is these 2 courses of bricks that are the most vulnerable to frost.

the bricks lower down may absorb water also, but are not as exposed to the freezing weather.

only a complete fool would risk laying an absorbent brick below dpc, regardless of b'regs or architects specifications. :rolleyes:
who said about laying soft bricks under damp,sand face flitton is rock hard you ever tried cutting a few out with hammer and chisel? scroll back to some of the replys and your notice commons ie solid frost proof are commonly layed under the damp albiet a sand faced ones ,nose all do you know what a sand faced flitton is?

in my latest post i made absolutely NO reference to the use of flettons.

i merely stated a good building practice and NOTHING else.

you seem to be a little paranoid fastnotroll.

in my latest post i made absolutely NO reference to the use of flettons.

i merely stated a good building practice and NOTHING else.

you seem to be a little paranoid fastnotroll.
not me noseall , maybe your getting a little agitated because you was proven wrong not only by me but a few others to,if your not busy the weekend scroll through them and take a look your self with out accusing folks of being paranoid , iam off to the pub and probaly hear a remark by 5pm ,(i layed 3000 7 newton blocks on friday) have a good one :LOL:

and do you use conc common brick for the first course or concrete block ?

read this fastnotroll.

woody advised not to use common bricks. in certain parts of the country 'commons' are regarded as an inferior soft clay brick. this was good advice.

it was YOU who has gone off on a crusade about fletton bricks and their uses.

i merely backed up the advice about the problems associated with using soft clay materials below dpc. ffs. :rolleyes:

and do you use conc common brick for the first course or concrete block ?

read this fastnotroll.

woody advised not to use common bricks. in certain parts of the country 'commons' are regarded as an inferior soft clay brick. this was good advice.

it was YOU who has gone off on a crusade about fletton bricks and their uses.

i merely backed up the advice about the problems associated with using soft clay materials below dpc. ffs. :rolleyes:
come on you gunnners :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back