Foundations - First course below DPC

:eek: not round here.

Might be regional variations.

Sponsored Links
Well my top trump card says 24 years :p

It must be a regional thing, as I can say I have seen very few concrete bricks used in the midlands, and a common brick to us is a pink/orange clay brick with a smooth face. No brickies here would call a concrete brick a common.

From my history lessons I recall that in the very early days the "most common" bricks were the soft ones used for internal walls and walls out of sight - the more expensive bricks with texture and colour were "less common"

And so the term for common brick was applied to the softer, blander and weaker bricks.

As internal walls of common bricks were generally replaced by blocks in the 60's, their manufacture has steadily been reduced, so they are in fact less common today. Under-fired and otherwise reject bricks are generally used as 'common' bricks today

The term seems to be diluted now, as down at the sheds they call bricks with texture and colours "commons" just because there are more of them and they are commonly used.

I know the soft ones your on about, never see them now.
I think the term for common is used down here for the concretes, because for example, when they are used on block and beam, setting out the walls, then concrete floor is poured, so that the walls go on bricks rather than the concrete. Just boring grey smooth concrete bricks, used for groundwork etc, hence the name commons. That is why I said that they are the same as consolidated "face" versions and can be used below dpc.
Use them for our return cuts etc, on blockwork, as they don't like you putting a clay one in

:rolleyes:

There is no way in this world the soft clay bricks you refer too should be used.

Sponsored Links
I think the term for common is used down here for the concretes, because for example, when they are used on block and beam, setting out the walls, then concrete floor is poured, so that the walls go on bricks rather than the concrete. Just boring grey smooth concrete bricks, used for groundwork etc, hence the name commons. That is why I said that they are the same as consolidated "face" versions and can be used below dpc.
Use them for our return cuts etc, on blockwork, as they don't like you putting a clay one in

There is no way in this world the soft clay bricks you refer too should be used.
carefull now taffy,if you disagree with them a certain amount of times they bar you from site, you know and i know because we are bricklayers by trade what and where we can use certain materials , i think of like talking to a building inspector they know it but hardly know anything :LOL:

after the_bricky_instructor agreed with me about using sand face flitton same material as a common not the common your talking about lol :confused: ,he emailed he can no longer log on, now what on earth is going on

We have had the 'old' regional thing before...

And what about the origin of 'frog' :D

I would like to see class b engineers below DPC but if the fletton is approved and can be used then all well and good, makes a better job.

Their (Hanson) site in Stewardby is very impressive, acres of flettons as far as the eye can see and some lovely tall chimneys' which is all ways nice.....

Moderator wrote "which will suspend his accountant"

LOL - lets hope he is let out to get the accounts done before April :LOL:

FNT, I don't think anyone minds having the crack and some banter, but you'll get zapped by the mods, or members will just click the ignore button if you keep trolling and making it personal

In South Wales I've used concrete commons from the Danygraig works in Risca.

In London I've used LBC flettons or sand faced regrades as commons.

There's never been any issues with the bricks used below ground from BCOs or NHBC.

when I lived in Essex, people called plain pink Flettons (no facing sand or texture) "Commons"

down here, they use "commons" to mean "the cheapest brick you can find for use where it won't show and doesn't matter"

when I lived in Essex, people called plain pink Flettons (no facing sand or texture) "Commons"

down here, they use "commons" to mean "the cheapest brick you can find for use where it won't show and doesn't matter"
correct john d :D

A common brick is made of clay

You can't get a common brick made of concrete - that will be a concrete brick.

You can buy a concrete common where I come from :confused: but I don't know if you can use them below damp :confused: :confused:

A common brick is made of clay

You can't get a common brick made of concrete - that will be a concrete brick.

You can buy a concrete common where I come from :confused: but I don't know if you can use them below damp :confused: :confused:
concrete common , i nver heard of a concrete common , are you welsh to mr m . i know in wales a few houses are built to be rendered :confused:

Moderator wrote "which will suspend his accountant"

LOL - lets hope he is let out to get the accounts done before April :LOL:

FNT, I don't think anyone minds having the crack and some banter, but you'll get zapped by the mods, or members will just click the ignore button if you keep trolling and making it personal
if i get zapped by you as i know your the moderator do you really think il care lol,at the end of the day iam pretty sure enough viewers knew who was right and who gave incorrect information, lucky i know what iam doing lol

You can buy a concrete common where I come from :confused: but I don't know if you can use them below damp :confused: :confused:[/quote]

same here known as concrete commons and can be used below dpc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back