Free Solar Panels - Whats the Catch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I was listening to the radio on the way home and there was an advert for free solar panels on the back of the Government scheme introduced in 2010.

I have just logged onto the website and I meet all the criteria for installation (south facing, large roof area, etc) and they say because of my location the installation is completely free.

I might be getting cynical in my old age but whats the catch? I have read all the T's&C's and it all seems to stack up - I get the benefit of free electricity during the day and what I don't use goes back into the national grid, and at night I use 'normal' electricity from my supplier.

I also sign up to a 25 year deal and at the end of the 25 years the panels belong to me (or whoever lives in the house at the time) - and the installation includes maintenance of the panels for the 25 year period.

Apart from looking horrid I am still thinking there must be a catch, or I am missing something obvious. I have concerns over 'our nationwide team of approved installers' and all that but if I put that to one side and assume I will get a professional not someone who has been on a 2 week course is this as good as it seems?

Thanks in advance for your views

Nick

Sponsored Links
The only "catch" i can see, apart from the danger of shoddy work, is that if you sell your house, the incoming owner will have to continue with the arrangement. This MAY impede you selling, or affect the price. I haven't read any contracts, but I would assume there is a cancellation clause expecting you to compensate the panel owners if you wish to withdraw.

The only other issue is that if power costs continue to increase dramatically, the panel owners will be doing better as time goes on, and you may wish that you had funded the kit yourself.

The catch is that they benefit from the "feed in" tariffs, you will see none of that money.

During sunny days, when most electricity is generated, you are unlikely to be using much yourself, and unless you can store it somewhere, only the company will benefit.

The 25 year agreement forms part of your deeds, and could make it unattractive to a potential buyer, should you wish to sell.

You may be able to arrange all of your electricity consumption to coincide with sunny weather, although I suspect you will have other things to do with your time.

Keith

The one I looked at briefly it was a complete con. There was no mention at all of any money or power going to the householder. All you're agreeing to is to contractually *give* them your roof for the period with no benefit. They could bang holes in your roof too - so what? Not their roof, your whole house is just something for them to stick shiny things on.

You'd also have problems maintaining your own roof. May not be able to remove their kit legally to fix a hole.

Sponsored Links
The catch is that the people fitting the Solar PV on your roof will get the 44.3p per kwh generated.

Depending on the size of the roof you contractually hand over to them, they might make a profit of up to £34K from your roof over a 25yr term.

I'm a PV Installer and I'm currently putting a 3.8Kw system on my roof. I certainly won't be letting my roof to anyone else to make money from it.

Yes it is true you will get some free electricity but this will be during bright daylight hours when your consumption is minimal.

The people hiring your roof will still get the 44.3p per kw even if you use it, so they can't lose. You can.

If you can afford the initial outlay, its a great scheme. If you can't, there is no thing as a free lunch.

I've not looked at this, but 44p p kw is amazing, as it onl costs about 10ppKwhr retail. Or am I missing something?

I've not looked at this, but 44p p kw is amazing, as it onl costs about 10ppKwhr retail. Or am I missing something?

Unfortunately it's a government-devised scheme that pays you far more for the energy you generate than it's worth, even if you consume it rather than exporting to the grid. It's supposed to increase the uptake of renewables, but the money that funds these feed-in-tariffs is ultimately paid by anyone who purchases electricity from the grid, which means higher energy prices for everyone. Seems fair.

It's not fair, but what is?

At the moment the Government is funding the renewable FiT; of course, that may change. It may go on the electricity bill in due course.

I guess if you extrapolate the view that it is the taxpayer whichever way you look at it, then those that have not will be paying for those that have.

I don't believe in renewables as such, but I do believe in the ideas behind Solar PV generation and thats why I've spent a small fortune getting trained on it.

For what it is worth, I have never believed in Solar Thermal and refused to fit any, because it never pays back. Solar PV does, simples.

Worth adding Expertgasman (I guess I am a regular gas man?) that you get 3.1p in addition for evetry kwh you export, taking it to 47.4p. As there is no compatible metering, the Government assume you export 50% and pay you accordingly.

And the icing on the cake, it is raised by RPI each year. :D

Yes, you're forgetting that this is yet another example of how Brown and his croonies managed to run up more dept than ever before whilst we also have a higher tax burden than ever before.
It is simply a complete waste of money.

Its only worthwhile because of an artificial over payment which is subsidised by electricity consumers.

It only works when the amount of PV is minute!

If everyone had it then it would go bust!

But if you invest in some big water tanks to store hot water and time your washing machines to wash when the sun is out its probably possible to do well out of it.

But it prevents loft extensions or even roof maintenance!

Practically speaking I expect your roofer could move the panels to repair the roof without anyone noticing!

Tony

Solar PV panels are easy to lift off and put back if roof maintenance is required. In reality the roof underneath is sheltered and the presence of the panels is more likely to extend the tiles' life than reduce it.

I don't see the analogy with the washing machines, that is Solar Thermal surely?

Modern washing machines are cold fill only and heat the water electrically.

The makers say they are more efficient that way.

What they dont say is that its cheaper to make them that way and the USER has to pay more for using them!

Tony

I looked at this a while back - the contract I saw allowed the householder to have the panels removed twice - I think at the panel owners' expense - during the 25 year contract period in order to undertake major roof repairs. I didn't pursue the possibility as we are a little short on suitable roof facing the right way ... oh and the government do not guarantee to maintain the artificially high price for PV electricity.

Regards,

Springnuts.

Not true. The government do guarantee the rate per kw for 25 yrs.

However, if you delay your installation they do reserve the right to change the tariff for new entrants.

An early bird catches the worm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back