Freeview in place of Sky.

All the rest use freeview, even the TalkTalk and BT Openview services. The free to air channels are provided using your aerial, on demand content is provided using your internet connection and the propitiatory box provided to you.
Predictive text strikes again?

propitiate = to win or regain the favor of (a god, spirit, or person) by doing something that pleases them : the pagans thought it was important to propitiate the gods with sacrifices.

I think you mean proprietary?
adjective - of or relating to an owner or ownership.

:)

Sponsored Links
There are three ways to get TV.
1) Terrestrial Aerial
2) Satellite Aerial
3) Broad Band
Terrestrial using freeview which in spite of the name includes some channels you need to pay for although very few.

Satellite can be received out of the UK so there are some of the free programs available with freeview which need to be scrambled with satellite.
There are two types of scrambled TV programs, those which need paying for every month, and those which you only need a one off payment to get i.e. those programs restricted to UK only.
I believe that the so called Freesat boxes have slots for the one off payment card to allow you to watch the extra programs and also has a 7 day electronic program guide. I don't have one so not sure on this?
The free to air box also uses satellite signals but has no slot for cards and has only now and next program guide and can't get any scrambled programs.

Broad Band is also split into two, there are catch up programs which don't need a licence and live programs which do. Oddly catch-up TV is live so licence is required.

I found the freesat and free to air hard to understand and in error I got free to air rather than freesat. For me since I have sky not a problem I can use sky's program guide. However for mother it is a problem as programs like Films for men are not included in most the paper program guides.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure advert "Spiderbox 6000 HD satellite receiver Set Top Box Built-in WIFI Plus Smart Card Reader Freesat Free To Air Channels" what is the smart card reader for?

I note Sam's link:-
There is also an option to phone 08442 410 595 (Option 2) and buy for about £25 inclusive just the Freesat card.

You may be read a legal notice telling you that you must not use the card outside the UK. (However, it will work outside the UK of course). Sky often quote a delivery time of "3 days" for the card but some people have received theirs next day. The card is guaranteed for 3 years. There is currently no official limit on the number of cards (I know someone who has ordered five) but you'd better be ready with a good excuse if you need more than one. You have to call Sky to get the card activated in your Digibox.

You can also phone the above number and get a free information pack posted to your UK address without speaking to a human being.

Or you can order your Freesat card online. Ceased August 2012

See the Freesat/FTA programme listings HERE (may not be up to date).
This may mean you can't get a card any longer, however the details are out of date ITV Encore can not be received without a card, but 5, 5* and 5 US can now be received without a card.

Comparing free to air to freeview you gain more channels than you lose using free to air and a dish does not suffer as much as an aerial in the weather it does not need to be as high mine is at around 10 foot high so if something does go wrong can fix on a pair of steps no need for ladders. My friend has his dish at about 3 foot high. I have never heard of a lighting strike on a dish, but many onto aerials. So I do without watching Yesterday.

My old sky boxes work without a card. Clearly can't get scrambled programs. Since UK TV is part owned by BBC it annoys me that their programs are scrambled, but that's life.

The Freesat system started in 2008. As the BBC web page says using a free to air box you do seem to get some programs not available to Sky box users without entering in all the details manually which you are only likely to find if you have a free to air box to scan and find those details anyway. However the few programs I have found are not really worth all the effort programming them in.

Are you sure advert "Spiderbox 6000 HD satellite receiver Set Top Box Built-in WIFI Plus Smart Card Reader Freesat Free To Air Channels" what is the smart card reader for?
That's actually a lie. It's not a Freesat receiver. The seller simply stuck that word in so that his advert gets more views. That's a common ploy on eBay and one which eBay generally ignores.

There is no such thing as a Freesat card and there never has been. Freesat is, guess what, FREE.

Sky sell a card called a "Freesat from sky" card. It is pretty useless and only enables about half a dozen channels, which most people don't want, on a sky box. It will also put the correct region BBC/ITV on the EPG.

The spiderbox receiver will decrypt MANY different services from many package suppliers in europe.
The cards supplied, like a sky card, allow access to encrypted channels.

I'd go Freeview - or use the sky box and use Freesat and also something like an Amazon Fire Stick with Cody and Genesis on for those things you cant get for free :)

I am trying to get this straight in my own head never mind any one else.
1) Freeview is free but you can get cards for same system which are charged for which are not technically freeview but uses same system.
2) Freesat is free but you can get cards for same system which are charged for which are not technically freesat but uses the same system.
Note anything similar in the two statements?

So let me try again and see if I can get it right this time.
Leaving internet out then.

Two terrestrial systems one with and one without a monthly paid for encoder card.

Two satellite systems.
One with all free channels, this can be further split with some boxes giving only now and next and others giving 7 day guides plus some have outputs to turn the dish or take multi-dishes to increase number of channels plus some are HD some are not this then moves to next.

With the next level the boxes take cards which can allow encoded channels and also allow post code encoding so you have local channels in the order found in paper program guides. There are many cards including one off payment cards.

The point is does it matter if one off payment is for a better box to allow HD or a card which goes into the box to allow extra channels and post code sorting it is still a one off payment.

At end of day it's down to the programs you want to watch. If you watch Yesterday on a regular basis the you want freeview, if you however like old films then you want a free satellite system. It also depends how or if you record programs. How easy it is to get freeview, and if your prepared to continually reprogram your box or TV when they have re-shuffled the programs yet again. I am lucky I can place a loop aerial on the windowsill down stairs and pick up Miss Piggy (Moel-y-Parc) others need huge masts to pick up terrestrial TV.

But as to channels I watch rather than simple count there is around 5 programs I can only watch for free with freeview and around 40 I can only watch with free satellite. Guy already has a dish, already has a receiver so to me no question he should retain his satellite viewing.

So question is in real terms is it worth putting up a terrestrial aerial to pick up an extra 5 channels? Only he can answer that.

I am trying to get this straight in my own head never mind any one else.
1) Freeview is free but you can get cards for same system which are charged for which are not technically freeview but uses same system.
2) Freesat is free but you can get cards for same system which are charged for which are not technically freesat but uses the same system.
Note anything similar in the two statements?

So let me try again and see if I can get it right this time.
Leaving internet out then.

Two terrestrial systems one with and one without a monthly paid for encoder card.

Two satellite systems.
One with all free channels, this can be further split with some boxes giving only now and next and others giving 7 day guides plus some have outputs to turn the dish or take multi-dishes to increase number of channels plus some are HD some are not this then moves to next.

With the next level the boxes take cards which can allow encoded channels and also allow post code encoding so you have local channels in the order found in paper program guides. There are many cards including one off payment cards.

The point is does it matter if one off payment is for a better box to allow HD or a card which goes into the box to allow extra channels and post code sorting it is still a one off payment.

At end of day it's down to the programs you want to watch. If you watch Yesterday on a regular basis the you want freeview, if you however like old films then you want a free satellite system. It also depends how or if you record programs. How easy it is to get freeview, and if your prepared to continually reprogram your box or TV when they have re-shuffled the programs yet again. I am lucky I can place a loop aerial on the windowsill down stairs and pick up Miss Piggy (Moel-y-Parc) others need huge masts to pick up terrestrial TV.

But as to channels I watch rather than simple count there is around 5 programs I can only watch for free with freeview and around 40 I can only watch with free satellite. Guy already has a dish, already has a receiver so to me no question he should retain his satellite viewing.

So question is in real terms is it worth putting up a terrestrial aerial to pick up an extra 5 channels? Only he can answer that.

You have got it all wrong.

1/. FREEview is FREE. There are no cards.
2/. FREEsat is FREE. There are no cards.

There is ONE terrestrial system.
There is ONE satellite system for UK viewers.

This one satellite system has free to air channels, about 5 encrypted channels that are free to view (well not quite, you have to pay £25 for a card), and encrypted channels which you can only get (legally) with a sky subscription.

Boxes wise.
1/. Freeview boxes which require an aerial. But these days Freeview is built into TVs so in general no boxes required.
2/. There are free to air satellite boxes which can get the free to air channels only with now and next programme guide on UK channels (but 7 day on some European channels). This is because the UK does not use the standard 7 day EPG.
3/. Generic satellite boxes with card slots. These can take cards for some European channels, but can't work Sky cards.
4/. Freesat boxes. Freesat is just an EPG (14 day) and these boxes can access it. They require your postcode so they can give you the correct regions. They will only get the channels that have paid to be on the Freesat EPG. Though they can be switched to non Freesat mode and act like a free to air box.
5/. Sky boxes. These are really designed for subscription but without a card will get all the free to air channels on the Sky EPG. You can get the £25 card mentioned above and get around 5 extra channels. It will also put the correct region according to the address registered to the card. For subscription you need to subscribe to sky and get a card for the package you subscribe to.

Incidentally the channel you mentioned "Yesterday" is on Freeview and free to air satellite, so a poor choice as an example.

I selected Yesterday as it is not on my Sky package I need to use Freeview to watch Yesterday it is the only channel I have found which works on Freeview but not on my basic Sky package.

I have also noted my Sky HD box only shows BBC in HD yet my mothers non Sky box will show quite a few ITV programs in HD.

So a non Sky box seems to work better than a Sky box when viewing free programs. All my boxes are not Freesat and will allow me to arrange the order of programs and not even show programs I can't get. Down side is when some one says there's a good program on 123 channel I have not a clue what that is (Actually it's ITV Encore) but plus is if a get a caller go one up and I have the plus 1 version as I have set it up that way.

I only watch Yesterday on Freeview and always unplug the aerial after other wise the TV is once a week asking me to re-tune which means finding TV remote to be able to do that even when all I view is Sky channels. Freeview is a real pain as far as I am concerned it's a complete flop.

I selected Yesterday as it is not on my Sky package I need to use Freeview to watch Yesterday it is the only channel I have found which works on Freeview but not on my basic Sky package.

I have also noted my Sky HD box only shows BBC in HD yet my mothers non Sky box will show quite a few ITV programs in HD.

So a non Sky box seems to work better than a Sky box when viewing free programs. All my boxes are not Freesat and will allow me to arrange the order of programs and not even show programs I can't get. Down side is when some one says there's a good program on 123 channel I have not a clue what that is (Actually it's ITV Encore) but plus is if a get a caller go one up and I have the plus 1 version as I have set it up that way.

I only watch Yesterday on Freeview and always unplug the aerial after other wise the TV is once a week asking me to re-tune which means finding TV remote to be able to do that even when all I view is Sky channels. Freeview is a real pain as far as I am concerned it's a complete flop.

Yesterday does not need to be in your sky package. It is free to air.

Freeview is far from a complete flop. It replaces analogue TV and enables anyone with a modern TV to view many channels without additional set top boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back