Fridge freezer power cord not long enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Single extension probably won't fit around the back. The sockets seem up high close to the ceiling. The main power cord from appliance will not stretch.

Any solutions.
Moving the plug to lower is not really am option as not enough space.

It is one of those fitted cabinets with appliance inside. I take the plugs were put at the top since no space at the bottom.

Have not purchased yet but all appliances in have seen have the power cord starting at the bottom and max 1.5 metre.

Is that some sort of rule 1.5m?

Also I cannot use a single socket extension? If I manage somehow to fit behind cabinet it would make life so much easier..

Sponsored Links
What are the dimensions of the appliance and the internal dimensions of the cabinet?

Does the cabinet have a hardboard back panel?

Sponsored Links
What are the dimensions of the appliance and the internal dimensions of the cabinet?

Does the cabinet have a hardboard back panel?

Is that relevant? The cabinet is flush with the wall. I couldn't even measure the depth unless I pulled the appliance out literally no space. This thing looks like made to measure.

All I need to know is how can I plug the new fridge freezer which has its cord at the bottom of 1.5 metres to the socket which is like 2.5 metres near the ceiling.

I had to do this before on a washing machine, I took off the complete flex/plug and replaced it with a longer flex/plug, the new cable I bought had a moulded plug too. Keep original though in case you need to return it.

I think you'd be surprised to see how much room is actually behind them if you did pull them out an measure.

A fridge and/or freezer cannot work without air circulating around the back of it - if there's no gap, there's no air and nowhere for the heat to go. It's just physics.

I think you'd be surprised to see how much room is actually behind them if you did pull them out an measure.

A fridge and/or freezer cannot work without air circulating around the back of it - if there's no gap, there's no air and nowhere for the heat to go. It's just physics.

And again
Say they is enough space, what do you suggest ?

I was going to just put a box and extend the cable as suggested above

Also I cannot use a single socket extension? If I manage somehow to fit behind cabinet it would make life so much easier..
Why not? If you can't replace the supplied cable with a longer one, that's probably the safest option. As Iggifer said, if there isn't enough room for a single socket extension lead, there isn't enough room for air circulation.

Hard to know what the sizes are as OP refused to answer the simple question, but inbuilt fridges can have fill the whole unit and exhaust the heat via a vent/grille at the bottom. Best answer is to replace with longer flex as morg suggested.

Hard to know what the sizes are as OP refused to answer the simple question, but inbuilt fridges can have fill the whole unit and exhaust the heat via a vent/grille at the bottom. Best answer is to replace with longer flex as morg suggested.
I have not refused to answer.
This place is not where I live but a flat which my parents will be staying at.

I just need the time to go there and measure up. That's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back