Front Drive - Solution? !! UPDATE !! (14th Apr)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a front drive that's pretty roughed up after 4-5 yrs. It was laid badly by someone of course, but would now like to re-do it properly with crazy/block paving.

The thing is, I have a large tree as you can see, and I'm suspecting that the roots are upheaving the concrete/surface from below??

Can anyone tell me if that's the case and also if I were to lay down a new drive, what are the steps?? (i.e. dig down how deep, what type of foundation, how deep to lay concrete, etc...)

I would be very grateful for any help! THANKS!!

View media item 10102 View media item 10103

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you are aware but there are new planning laws in place now for driveways. Block paving will need prior approval. Its all to do with the flooding risks...

I'm not sure if you are aware but there are new planning laws in place now for driveways. Block paving will need prior approval. Its all to do with the flooding risks...
Err no, when there wasn't a driveway there before you need planning and only if the new surface is non-permeable or drains onto the roadway. You can change the material without planning permission. Nothing to do with flood risks.

ok... so no planning permission haha good

So in terms of the steps and details?? - I just want to go into this fully informed rather than be a complete ignoramus.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Err no, when there wasn't a driveway there before you need planning and only if the new surface is non-permeable or drains onto the roadway. You can change the material without planning permission. Nothing to do with flood risks.

different to what were told by all the local planning depts, if youre replacing an old one you will still need planning, unless you deal with the drainage aspects to comply with the premitted development.

funny how many times you drive by driveway contractors who atre still laying them with no drainage!

different to what were told by all the local planning depts, if youre replacing an old one you will still need planning, unless you deal with the drainage aspects to comply with the premitted development.
Relaying mine later this year & that's also what I've been told :confused:

Pavingexpert.com had an amazing resource thanks!!

My next question is, the root of my tree - as you can see in the picture, the tree must have enourmous roots. Does anyone think this is the cause of the concrete upheaval??

Keeping that in mind, will it be best for my drive if I use concrete blocks without any concrete underneath? Since the site above mentions that the standard method is just subgrade + bedding + the blocks, I'm not sure if that's ok for me??

Thanks for more replies!!

Thanks freddymercury for that link, I've been there before and I've looked through it. So I know what to do regarding that aspect.

I'd like to know more about the 2 questions in my previous post still though!

Thanks again

Its hard if not impossible for anyone to say for sure if your problems are due to the roots and equally if using concrete under your block is a sure bet. At least with a 'soft' bed beneath the blocks if you get any movement it may be a bit more subtle than if you have concrete which is likely to crack and create steps in the blockwork and certainly easier to put right in the future if req'd.

I have a theory... that the roots are wrapped around a leaking joint from our own house, and not the neighbours!

Well are there any advantages to having concrete underneath if we're doing block paving?? A few people I've asked said "yeah let's redo the current concrete and do blocks on top"... hmm are they trying to extract more money from the job??

Also, if I use the 'soft' method (no concrete), then should I be using a thicker layer of sub-base (i.e. more than 100mm compacted DTp1) or will that do absolutely nought to a big tree root??

Thanks!! :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back