Front Drive - Solution? !! UPDATE !! (14th Apr)

Sponsored Links
erm i'm new here... and attempting to understand a large-ish project. And if there were areas I can give back, then I would contribute. If you think that newbies should contribute straight away on a forum with lots of experts, it's asking a bit much dont you think. Makes it a rather closed circle for just 'you guys'. Isn't this a place for helping, just as much as sharing?

On the welcome area of this site, it states the aim and mission of this community. I quote:
"DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages."

So in this forum, I don't see why there should be a culture where new members are expected to contribute immediately so as to 'justify' asking for some opinions. Why do some people who have expertise in something forget that they once started somewhere near the bottom too?

Sponsored Links
dybleah, so long as you pursue a rigid covering to the drive, the roots at some time in the future, will probably be an issue.

There indeed may be a magical thickness of concrete that can prevent heave from roots, but this is likely to be an unfeasible thickness.

Either lose the trees or gravel the drive.

That said, you may well get a decade out of a well prepared reinforced drive before the roots become an issue.... :p

steady on chaps hes asked for advice.

at the risk of repeating myself and what others have said, the mesh wont stop tree roots. youve either got to deal with the source of the problem or limit its effect.

get some DECENT contractors around to view it who actually know what thye are talking about

Bit harsh, Wave...

I am guessing that the contractor actually meant putting the mesh in the concrete, in the top, to resist the root/s pushing upwards, as opposed to just laying mesh under the slab/sub/base.

If so, that could work, but no guarantee that it would over time - but, it's better than doing nothing. If the slab was kept a reasonable radius away from the tree trunk that would also be beneficial.

If the tree is mature, then there's not much more growth to be had and hence no significant increase in roots. A further option is to pollard the tree and manage it, so as to limit any future root growth, if it's not mature.

Or take it out completely, of course.

The tree seems quite mature...but not sure if roots will move over the years. Everything being said makes perfect sense and for my drive, there appears to be no ultimate solution apart from a fully 'flexible' loose gravel drive. Since my parents don't want that... I think the reinforced concrete with a mesh inside it might be the best medium-term solution. (as opposed to 150+mm of DTp, since this will upheave easier)

I'll ask for more opinions from decent looking contractors anyhow and see what they suggest. But I doubt there'll be any more advances on a all-round solution than what you guys have already voiced here.

Thanks again for all the help! It's been a real eye-opener as to how badly my drive was done previously! :oops:

dybleah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back