Frontera problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

have a Vauxhall Frontera and every now and then when started from cold revs the engine without you putting your foot on the accelerator.

I presume it's the automatic choke sticking, or thats what it seems like.

Anyone got any info on this problem?

Sponsored Links
be glad the choke works - i had a nissan micra on a H and the choke never worked - i would have to sit in the car with my foot on the accelerator until it was warm enough so as not to cut out! It seemed the choke only worked when the engine was warm :eek: I'd start it when it had been stood in the sun and the engine would do about 2000rpm without me touching it!!! :eek:

You might find the choke cuts out if you give a pulse of high revs on the accellerator - it will go back to idle.

Expertboy said:
Hi,

have a Vauxhall Frontera and every now and then when started from cold revs the engine without you putting your foot on the accelerator.

I presume it's the automatic choke sticking, or thats what it seems like.

Anyone got any info on this problem?

If you are still having this prob, its the idle control valve without a doubt.

Given that modern engines dont have a choke as such, they use the ECU to control throttle settings i would go along with the idle air control valve being the poss prob, or poss a vacume leak somewhere, or maybe the throttle position sensor needs adjusting? ;) Might be worth asking Vauxhall to read the fault codes although i dont know how much this would cost :confused:

Sponsored Links
idle cotrol valve sounds like the problem, are you getting the engine management light coming on at all- no point in getting the tech2 out on it if its not registering a fault.

cost you around 40 - 50 to get it on tech2 at vaux

breezer said:
bet its fixed now, he only asked in April :LOL:

Doesnt matter, the idle control valve normally plays up on fronteras, because its not designed to go on an off roader, so this question will keep popping up - it will be usefull if anyone else has the same prob.

Sponsored Links
Back