Reaction score
Country
Ireland
in the instructions on our Grant Euroflame outdoor kerosene oil boiler it says that a pipe state fitted to the return water pipe may be fitted to offer frost protection and that it shall be set at 30 degrees centigrade.

If water freezes at 0c i wonder why they say to set the stat at 30c ? - and wouldnt that use more oil in the end?

Sponsored Links
More likely the frost stat is integral (wouldn't you fit one as standard in a water filled expensive thing that lives outdoors) ; the pipestat is to reduce the amount the boiler fires after being triggered by the protective frost stat.

Your boiler has a frost stat which fires the burner if the temp inside the boiler casing gets below about 5°C. To stop if firing for long periods, a low-limit stat can be fitted to the return pipework in the boiler, so that when the return temp reaches 30°C it will turn the burner off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much all - re wiring of the pipe stat is Diagram 1 right or Diagram 2 correct thanks?

STAT1.jpg

STAT2.jpg

134599-2413185e2a649a1f9ed566eca6f7837d.jpg
134600-5509dea31edc12108f5103a218f4b77a.jpg

This may seem a daft question but on all the external grant boilers I've fitted a frost stat has always been fitted and I've been asked by grants a time or two to replace the frost stat under warranty when they've played up,and if factory fitted you'd think it would be fitted in a way so as to be economical would you not.Bob

i hear/read 2 different settings for the frost stat some sites say 5c .. then some say 0c - i have just set ours at 3-4c - on some grant condenser boilers (could be vortex) they have a non adjustable frostat set at 5c at the factory.

If you had a pipe stat wired up as in diagram 1 at 30c I shoud think you could do away with a frost-stat altogether couldnt you because it will always be keeping the return water at 30c ? (and consequently the inside of the boiler outdoor module above freezing)

If you had a pipe stat wired up as in diagram 1 at 30c I shoud think you could do away with a frost-stat altogether couldnt you because it will always be keeping the return water at 30c ? (and consequently the inside of the boiler outdoor module above freezing)
Burner would run whenever return temperature reached 30c or lower (fuel wastage).

Only for as long as the heating is timed. The frost stat overrides all timer setting.

ah right , because its on the permanent live? - so if you wired the pipe stat at 30c on the permanent live and not the switched live then that would work ... but as wildcat pointed out - fuel wastage

Just wire a frost stat independent of your timer, set a 5o in parallel with a pipestat on the return at 30o or so. Your boiler frost stat is already installed for the former, just limit with a pipe stat on the return. You know it makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back