full central heating install, can i assist to reduce cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. I have a warm air heated house, we brought it in july and it was already installed. We said we would try it through winter and decide on upgrade or replace with rads. It is ok when on, but a few mins after turning off it cold in house, so looking to get new heating system i think. Can i help out to keep cost down, such as lifting but the floor boards for him, or hanging the rads? Also where will the pipes be run. We have floor boards up stairs, but concreat floor down, but it is a cavity wall, would he put pipes in there or put channel in floor?

Sponsored Links
If the house is new or refurbished, chances are it has internal insulation and lightweight stud partitions. Anyway, it could have a low 'thermal mass', which might explain why the house cools down quickly. You might be able to get a programmable controller for the existing heating to behave more like traditional central heating in a traditional masonry house. A sophisticated controller is going to cost much less than a new central heating system.

However, to answer your question, I'm not sure if this is the best approach by any means (it certainly isn't traditional!) but, for various reasons, I took down a plasterboard ceiling downstairs. This gives fantastic access and you don't have to disturb the floor upstairs. You then have a chance of putting up an acoustic ceiling on resilient bars with some insulation between the floors.

It is neither, it was built in about 79, and I believe it was ex local authority. I like the sound of the ceiling though, better than carving all the Walls up,

Sponsored Links
Pulling down a ceiling is certainly not the normal way of doing an install!

By all means you can lift the boards before the fitter starts but find out which boards need lifting first. Otherwise you will end up with all the wrong boards up and alot of wasted time. I imagine that if the materials were delivered before the install date then hanging the rads too would cut a few hours labour off. Again you need to agree whats going here with your fitter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back