Central heating: gas warm air, gas radiator, underfloor????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

My boyfriend and I have bought a ground floor maisonette which has warm air partial central heating (lounge and bathroom only).

We are in the process of renovating the house, the floor of all the flat are going to be replaced, the separation wall between lounge and kitchen is coming down to make an open plan space.

This is the moment to have the central heating installed we thought and this is were problems started.

My boyfriend would like to keep the warm air system and find a way to extend the air ducts to the two bedrooms. He is convinced that if we change the old warm air system with a new combi one it will be more efficient than a radiator based system.

I personally would prefer to change the warm air system into a Keston C36 Condensing Combi Boiler which i think would be more efficient.

On top of this we had a disagreement about how to hide the pipes. We are not planing to dig any channel into the concrete floor as we fell that the job is too difficult for our DIY level. We are left with too possibility: 1) running the pipes under a wooden floor that we could rise of a few centimeters from the concrete base to allow for pipes to go around 2) hide pipes in the ceiling maybe installing a false ceiling and fitting spot lights at the same time.

Rising the floor could give us problems with the hight of doors for example?(The old doors have to be replaced anyway)

Would be the floor or the ceiling the best option?

I have the last question: we noticed that the cost of installing electric underfloor eating would be less than any of the other option but i am a bit worried about the efficiency of the system. Does it then cost more to run compared with gas heating? Can you afford the same temperature in the house? Is water underfloor heating a better option?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sara

Sponsored Links
Did you find the answer to your question anywhere else, as I was just about to post exactly the same question.

Thanks

Warm air is a rubbish system, had the opportunity to be ok but never was. Virtually always Open flued, keep dust in suspension all the time they are on, big ducts to hide, vents everywhere.....just nasty. Almost as bad as underfloor heating, big in the 70's, died a death for good reason. Nice on paper but impractical, though if fashion is your guide then there is no other option. Electric heating I don't deal with and can't really say. Just my humble opinion though.

electric underfloor expensive to run,water underfloor heating not really feisable to fit to existing property unless having new floors fitted,go with the rad system a good installer will quote and advise on pipe runs

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Warm air is a rubbish system,

I know a lot of people say that. Its just my opinion but I like it. No pipes everywhere. Tiny little vents in the wall rather than big ugly (IMO) radiators. Filters REMOVE any dust from the air. No hissing or gurgling radiators in the bedroom keeping you awake an night. (maybe they don't normally do this - just my experience) Very economical as far as i know. Heat the house up very quickly when you get home.

Considered "the norm" in America/Canada and many european countries.

Poor reputation due to cheap/nasty systems installed in the 60's perhaps.

Coniferman said:
ollski said:
Warm air is a rubbish system,

Filters REMOVE any dust from the air. quote]

Afetr a bloody great big fan has blown it all into suspension :D , I once met someone else who liked it aswell....hows about that :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back