rip out warm air heating

Well, if you work in IT, you must know that getting the user expectations and requirements is critical. Say what you want, do a bit of research, ask some questions, then judge based upon the opinions and options offered by the contractors you feel are knowledgable, able to offer advice. Avoid those that don't really seem to want to have a look around, don't seem to be able to offer a solution, but simply offer up problems.

You're the client, you want options, solutions and a quote. If you're not comfortable with what they're suggesting go for some more. Experience, sometimes bitter, is you find someone you're comfortable using, then build up a relationship with them, then you know you're getting good advice and know you're not getting ripped off, it's quite easy to spot the chancers.

I wish you luck, it shouldn't be hard especially in the current climate to get a good 'un.

i completely agree with this statement 100% yet there are individuales on here who seem to think i am from a different planet.

Sponsored Links
I don't think so, really, but by belittling someones' profession and comparing it to other professions is not helpful. Keep your head, keep calm, if you don't like what you're hearing from the guys you've had around, keep going, there are a lot of heating engineers, just as there are a lot of IT people. I wish you all the best.

FWIW, I quite liked our WAU, but it was a monstrous item, freed up a 6x4' space in our kitchen, and they are not easy to extend, which is why ours had to go.

I don't think so, really, but by belittling someones' profession and comparing it to other professions is not helpful. Keep your head, keep calm, if you don't like what you're hearing from the guys you've had around, keep going, there are a lot of heating engineers, just as there are a lot of IT people. I wish you all the best.

FWIW, I quite liked our WAU, but it was a monstrous item, freed up a 6x4' space in our kitchen, and they are not easy to extend, which is why ours had to go.

yep thats what i have got big beast in the kitchen and extending is a no no.

for the record bengasman was offering up comparisons regarding occupations. i was merely replying.

yep thats what i have got big beast in the kitchen and extending is a no no.

for the record bengasman was offering up comparisons regarding occupations. i was merely replying.

I understand you frustration, as no one like having a series of bozo's around, but don't go with one you're unhappy about, accept they probably or may know more about it than you, a few simple questions is generally all it takes Eg.

Quoter number one, Hmm, could be difficult might have to replace the cylinder etc etc.

Mention above to winning quoter, answer, Yes I suppose that's a possibility...... So what?

Easy, really.

Sponsored Links
so we have finally agreed that around 6k is the right price then jolly good!

So you reckon that putting the pipes in brick walls is the same as putting them under the floor?

To bengasman i will take your advice and invoice for my time for any interview i may attend in the future on the off chance i don't get the job.
And please stop comparing being a plumber to a dentist or accountant, we are not talking about the same league really are we.

At least we agree on one thing. Never heard of people getting killed by a dentist fitting the wrong crown, filling or pulling the wrong tooth. Dito for an accountant messing up your books.

you fail to get that i have cash ready and waiting to give to a competant heating engineer , but so far all i have found is lazy gits who prefer to change taps all day.

I doubt that any of the experienced installers here did not grasp that, but it brings up another interesting aspect. Would you be willing to pay that at the start of the job, or are you one of those people that says: "send me an invoice when the job is finished."?

anyone up for it chuck a highflow440 in and 15 rads some pipes and a wireless box on the wall 6k cash :LOL:

I doubt very much that any of the better guys on here would be interested in doing so much as an assessment.

I think you have just shot yourself in the foot and reloaded.

And has it occurred to you that the 'workshy' would not have wasted their time visiting your charmless household for free?

Would this job be for your mum's house, by any chance?

please explain why 8 visit then only 3 quote ?

and no its not my mums house , what ever the hell that means ?

shall i offer to pay for the plumbers time to visit the property and lay a red carpet and rose petals on the floors for such an occasion.
i can tell you think you are the messiah of plumbing and should be compensated for your trouble how ever much knowledge is passed on to us mere mortals.

if you spoke to the people who quoted, like you do on hear then i wouldnt bother wasting my time pricing either, also round here most plumbers talk to each other and if we find were all being asked to price the same job normally dont bother as we are fully aware you will argue about payment, either not pay, or pay some foreign asylum seeker to do it for a grand

I find this all the time. Customers I quote for tell me they have others round to quote and when I get the job, tell me that they either never recieved a quote, or it was so unprofessional it gave them no confidence.

I can never understand why any one of us would attend to quote, then not carry out this procedure unless we informed the prospective customer that we were not interested for whatever reason.

My times too precious to be wasted and no doubt so is my customers :rolleyes:

so we have finally agreed that around 6k is the right price then jolly good!

So you reckon that putting the pipes in brick walls is the same as putting them under the floor?

To bengasman i will take your advice and invoice for my time for any interview i may attend in the future on the off chance i don't get the job.
And please stop comparing being a plumber to a dentist or accountant, we are not talking about the same league really are we.

At least we agree on one thing. Never heard of people getting killed by a dentist fitting the wrong crown, filling or pulling the wrong tooth. Dito for an accountant messing up your books.

you fail to get that i have cash ready and waiting to give to a competant heating engineer , but so far all i have found is lazy gits who prefer to change taps all day.

I doubt that any of the experienced installers here did not grasp that, but it brings up another interesting aspect. Would you be willing to pay that at the start of the job, or are you one of those people that says: "send me an invoice when the job is finished."?

anyone up for it chuck a highflow440 in and 15 rads some pipes and a wireless box on the wall 6k cash :LOL:

I doubt very much that any of the better guys on here would be interested in doing so much as an assessment.

i think we will agree to disagree bengasman , too much time on your hands matey

too much time on your hands matey

That's rich from someone who has wasted 8 boiler installers time and taken 6 pages of an internet forum.

My kids or yours?

And it is spelt 'aren't'. Do you know what 'ignoramus' means?

My kids or yours?

And it is spelt 'aren't'. Do you know what 'ignoramus' means?

No but i know what verbal diarrhoea means and there is plenty coming out of you. You must have a highflow built in :LOL:

surely someone with so much valuable time should be out working and earning rather than posting on a silly forum ?

No jobs today ? or did you **** off all your customers with your constant whinging.

i think we will agree to disagree bengasman , too much time on your hands matey

Logic would suggest that if I had lack of work, I would race over to anyone that calls me. In my book, people that can afford to waste time comparing 20 installers would be more likely the ones that have more time than money.

just to update

i manged to find a couple of decent guys who did quote on time and on budget

so 15 rads and a highflow is on the way for 6k :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back