rip out warm air heating

Fair point.
I can see how you could do low cost repairs if you had truckloads of both theoretical and practical knowledge.
I have a local client with a biasi that had an odd intermittent fault last year. It could be any of 3 parts and I could not prove that it was the one I suspected most. As the 3 together came to about 300 for materials alone, I was not keen to gamble so I asked Tony to have a look at it.
Because he knows them inside out, he could eliminate the 2 other suspects.
When you can work like that, you can semi retire and keep very low overheads.
You can not do that for complete installs.
In the case of the work for this op, you either have professional diamond cutters to chase the pipes in the wall, or you spend a week drilling and chiseling. Even using an ee would cost you over 500 quid to do it, and that is just one example.
When I brought this case up when pricing up a job with a mate of mine, fantastic plasterer/kitchenfitter, he brought up a 500 quid cost I had not even thought about.
I don't think mr cheap quoter has thought about that one when he did his 10-minute estimate either.

That leaves 3 options.
1. The professional installer takes responsibility for his shortcoming and takes the "unexpected" cost out of his own profit. Or,
2. He tries to add it to the bill. Or,
3. When op refuses to pay more, he will cut ever more on the quality of the work to make sure he doesn't loose out.

I could be wrong of course and the chaps doing this job are really good and either love their job so much, or are so desperate for work that they are happy to work for a fiver an hour.
:D

Sponsored Links
Fair point.
I can see how you could do low cost repairs if you had truckloads of both theoretical and practical knowledge.
I have a local client with a biasi that had an odd intermittent fault last year. It could be any of 3 parts and I could not prove that it was the one I suspected most. As the 3 together came to about 300 for materials alone, I was not keen to gamble so I asked Tony to have a look at it.
Because he knows them inside out, he could eliminate the 2 other suspects.
When you can work like that, you can semi retire and keep very low overheads.
You can not do that for complete installs.
In the case of the work for this op, you either have professional diamond cutters to chase the pipes in the wall, or you spend a week drilling and chiseling. Even using an ee would cost you over 500 quid to do it, and that is just one example.
When I brought this case up when pricing up a job with a mate of mine, fantastic plasterer/kitchenfitter, he brought up a 500 quid cost I had not even thought about.
I don't think mr cheap quoter has thought about that one when he did his 10-minute estimate either.

That leaves 3 options.
1. The professional installer takes responsibility for his shortcoming and takes the "unexpected" cost out of his own profit. Or,
2. He tries to add it to the bill. Or,
3. When op refuses to pay more, he will cut ever more on the quality of the work to make sure he doesn't loose out.

I could be wrong of course and the chaps doing this job are really good and either love their job so much, or are so desperate for work that they are happy to work for a fiver an hour.

you have assumed that the whole house needs chasing ?

there is no chasing going on only 2 drops are required because of the layout

is my price starting to make sense now ?

Sponsored Links
Just a point about the costs and competence and "quality of customer" Some 2 years ago I bought a bungalow in the sticks with oil fired heating (at this stage I will point out that I am Building trade trained when apprenticeships were 5 years, and whilst not a plumber, am a competent pipe fitter). I changed the oil boiler to a Stanley Oil Cooker anf this required the boiler flow and return to be rerouted and changed to 28mm. I checked in the airing cupboard and all looked OK, lifting the floorboards in front of the airing cupboard revealed a "rats nest". The bungalow was originally heated by warm air and when this was replaced with wet heating the plumber?? cut holes in the ducts and fed plastic pipes to the rads, which were fitted near the warm air vents. These pipes were all joined in total rats nest. Strangely enough, it all worked. I eventually found the boiler F & R and carried out the mods. Now, the crunch or this story supports all you plumbers who have posted on this thread, when an oil qualified plumber came to commision my cooker he checked the pipework and I told him about the rats nest. He then recalled that he had been asked to quote for the CH install and the attitude of the then owner of the property to force the cheapest possible quote forced him to walk away. He has offerd to give me a good quote to repipe the rads in copper when funds are available.

Just a point about the costs and competence and "quality of customer" Some 2 years ago I bought a bungalow in the sticks with oil fired heating (at this stage I will point out that I am Building trade trained when apprenticeships were 5 years, and whilst not a plumber, am a competent pipe fitter). I changed the oil boiler to a Stanley Oil Cooker anf this required the boiler flow and return to be rerouted and changed to 28mm. I checked in the airing cupboard and all looked OK, lifting the floorboards in front of the airing cupboard revealed a "rats nest". The bungalow was originally heated by warm air and when this was replaced with wet heating the plumber?? cut holes in the ducts and fed plastic pipes to the rads, which were fitted near the warm air vents. These pipes were all joined in total rats nest. Strangely enough, it all worked. I eventually found the boiler F & R and carried out the mods. Now, the crunch or this story supports all you plumbers who have posted on this thread, when an oil qualified plumber came to commision my cooker he checked the pipework and I told him about the rats nest. He then recalled that he had been asked to quote for the CH install and the attitude of the then owner of the property to force the cheapest possible quote forced him to walk away. He has offerd to give me a good quote to repipe the rads in copper when funds are available.

who has been forced exactly ?

i asked a number of plubmers to give me a quote some where good some where bad and some where down right awful.
just so happens the "right man turned up for the job".
No arm twisting has happend to get the price down.

well all the work is done , signed off 5 year warranty it would seem i have a karcher attached to the shower now :LOL:

Glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction in the end ;)

Lets just hope the warranty is worth the paper it is written on ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back