rip out warm air heating

How can it be on the way if they have already done it?

Is this another distortion of the truth?

Those of us in the trade would not be surprised that if someone shopped around long enough, they would drive the price down by a process of elimination.

Question is, what are you left with at the end?

Sponsored Links
How can it be on the way if they have already done it?

Is this another distortion of the truth?

Those of us in the trade would not be surprised that if someone shopped around long enough, they would drive the price down by a process of elimination.

Question is, what are you left with at the end?

1.How can it be on the way if they have already done it?
2.Is this another distortion of the truth?

Have you been on your favourite easter tipple ?

the only process was removing the lazy shysters and people with quotes of 12k

well a friend recomended the guy so i am happy with my choice , i have seen the work with my own eyes. he seems busy enough hence my decision to wait.

you need to make yourself aware we are in a recession my friend.

Wait until you get a problem after installation has finished and you can't get him back :eek: :rolleyes:

Wait until you get a problem after installation has finished and you can't get him back :eek: :rolleyes:

so i should go with the 12k quote right ? surly the guy must be better and the quality of work will be twice as good for twice the price.

Sponsored Links
Congrats OP, it took you 7 pages on the forum, but finally you have a valid point.
A high price in itself does not guarantee a good job. Luckily, bot the reverse and the opposite are true.

Why is that then ben , Cause someone is cheaper it makes there work sh@te WHY would that be. When you do a freeby or a mates job do you lower your standards.
I know one old guy who charges a hundred quid a day no matter what its for and his work is excellent .
Because someone is happy making a couple of grand on this job doesnt give anyone the right to say he is sh@te because they would be charging far more

Congrats OP, it took you 7 pages on the forum, but finally you have a valid point.
A high price in itself does not guarantee a good job. Luckily, bot the reverse and the opposite are true.

pleanty of valid points !

but many seem to have tunnel vision on here.
can you not accept that most heating engineers that viewed where not interested in the job.
pleanty cash for very little work is the order of the day for most.

i got tired very quickly of plumbers telling me i need a megaflow "end of" as a combi will not run two bathrooms.

Why is that then ben , Cause someone is cheaper it makes there work sh@te WHY would that be. When you do a freeby or a mates job do you lower your standards.
I know one old guy who charges a hundred quid a day no matter what its for and his work is excellent .
Because someone is happy making a couple of grand on this job doesnt give anyone the right to say he is sh@te because they would be charging far more

Thankyou for posting :D

Exception that proves the rule.
I estimate the cost of staying registered, tools, transport etc. at about 20 quid a day. That leaves 80. Take of the various forms of tax and variable expenses and your are left with about 60 to take home. That is not a viable business. My dentist is semi-retired and only works a few half days a week because he loves his trade. I suspect he actually looses money on keeping working if he would add up all the costs at marketvalue.

A rough estimate of quality materials to do the job as speced by the op, gave me 4 to 4.5k. That leaves a max of grand labour for an awkward job. Not a snowflake's chance in hell he will get a reliable system for that price. I can think of half a dozen regs that are likely to be breached, and half of them will be. I bet I could condemn the installation the day after is is finished and hold it up at a tribunal.

Its really simple if the guy who eventually does the job is happy with what he is making on it then thats that.
Don`t see why the people on here have a problem with it

Exception that proves the rule.
I estimate the cost of staying registered, tools, transport etc. at about 20 quid a day. That leaves 80. Take of the various forms of tax and variable expenses and your are left with about 60 to take home. That is not a viable business. My dentist is semi-retired and only works a few half days a week because he loves his trade. I suspect he actually looses money on keeping working if he would add up all the costs at marketvalue.

A rough estimate of quality materials to do the job as speced by the op, gave me 4 to 4.5k. That leaves a max of grand labour for an awkward job. Not a snowflake's chance in hell he will get a reliable system for that price. I can think of half a dozen regs that are likely to be breached, and half of them will be. I bet I could condemn the installation the day after is is finished and hold it up at a tribunal.

4.5k please explain

a break down of costs would be good

Ok give me a quick breakdown of why it costs you over 5000 quid a year just to be in business

Ok give me a quick breakdown of why it costs you over 5000 quid a year just to be in business

As I don't want to depend on an electrician to connect the boiler electrically, I have to pay double for registration, insurance, courses, calibration and that sort of thing. After that you only need to add transport costs, and you are pretty much there. If I wanted to drive a new van "to make a good impression on customers" I would go well over that amount.

Yeah that makes it a lot clearer :rolleyes:
My points have nothing to do with what mr lewis thinks is a fair price to pay.
Its about the guys out there for whatever reason price to get the job and think a couple of grand in there pockets is far more use than not having 3or 4 grand.
And for another pro who does not know them from jack sh@t to say he could condem there work as dangerous on several counts is a feking disgrace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back