function of felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me for what maybe a stupid question. What is the function of felt in the roof with respect to tiles.?

Sponsored Links
In a new roof two things, firstly to keep the roof dry during re-roofing and secondary as a backup waterproof layer should a tile drop or crack etc or maybe in some periods of extreme weather where water may be blown up the roof between the gaps in the tiles.

But many older roofs do not have any felt or underlay at all.

There are traces of felt but has deteriorated. roofer told me that it is more to keep the heat in than to keep water out. I think i am in old roof category , no felting cos when tiles got dislodged by wind i could see inside roof.

Attachments

• 20151122_100632.jpg
    20151122_100632.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 172
Not so, as mentioned felt in a tile/slate roof is a secondary barrier.

That roof will have had felt when roofed, absolutely 100%.

Sponsored Links
Yes as above, the insulation point is rubbish, probably best to avoid that 'roofer'! If the tiles are in OK condition and the roof is not leaking then ignore the fact that the felt has deteriorated. Felt deterioration is not uncommon. That said it does look like a tile/slate has gone awry ......

True you don't need felt to have a sound water tight roof but the difference between the temperature in a loft on a cold windy day that doesn't have felt and one that does is huge!

The only purpose of felt, is as a secondary waterproof layer with interlocking tiles. Felt started to be used when interlocking tiles began to be manufactured and the inherent flaw in the interlocking runner, and the porous nature of concrete tiles began to be apparent when the roofs leaked. For some reason, felt then began to be used on all roofs.

Clay bonded tiles or natural slate does not require an underfelt for the roof to be waterproof.

Felt has no insulation value, so it matters not of its there or not, insulation at ceiling level will perform the same

Too much air movement in a the loft space and you are going to be losing heat.

To say felt has no insulation value is wrong. EVERYTHING has an 'R' value!
I know a loft with felt will be warmer than a loft without!

Local authorities insist that any building for use as a dwelling must have felt because it increases the energy efficiency of the building.
Felt was first used under slates 'sarking' way before concrete tiles

Local authorities insist that any building for use as a dwelling must have felt because it increases the energy efficiency of the building.
Felt was first used under slates 'sarking' way before concrete tiles
Haha what a crock!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back