Fuse box near sink...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is a fuse box the same as an electrical panel? I've attached a photo of the hideous kitchen of the apt. I am buying that is soon to be gutted and redone. I want to make it into a "U" shape as shown in the other photo with a sink at the end. I also wanted to put two narrow cabinets on each side on that wall. As you can see, the fuse box would not be that near the sink. Are there rules as to how far the sink and cabinet ends have to be from it? I was also thinking of hanging a poster or something over it to hide it. The phone connection will be removed.
redkitchen.jpg
fusebox_question.jpg
Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician.....but it would not seem ideal to me. I would try to avoid it.

I was at a house last week where the consumer unit was directly under the sink. I thought it was a really stupid place to have it. I have yet to see a property that, over time did not have some kind of leak or water damage at some point over time in that location.

Not to mention it was a pain to access when required as so often as is the case, loads of kitchen stuff was crammed in there. I can imagine it would be awful for an electrician to work on too. Hardly any space usually. It is bad enough for plumbers.

Whether in contravenes any regulations I know now. Personally, I do not think it is ideal though.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about that white square panel 2/3rds up the wall? If it is well above the sink it may be less of an issue.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back