fuse holder without ES(EN)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I am new here. I am trying to make the periodic inspection and testing done for an old house build in 1939. The old fuse boxes are still working fine. However, the electrician said even he felt the setting is safe, but he cannot do it because the fuse holders are too old without the BS(EN). All fuse holders are rewirable. I wonder, if anyone here can make some suggestions?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Please check the photos. I believe they are very old. But they are working fine. In the page 3 of the periodic inspection report, under the item "K", there is a "characteristics of Primary supply overcurrent protective devices". The inspector has to fill the form at BS(EN): Type:

My electrician said he cannot reference my fuse holder to the current BS(EN) number. So he cannot do the test or report. Is that right that I have to change the fuse boxes into consumer units to be qualified as "satisfactory" in the report?

Sponsored Links
If it's fusewire then it' BS 3036.
The fuse wire (BS 3036) is the overcurrent protective device, not the fuse holder. If your electrician doesn't know this then he's an idiot.

Just so we're on the same page as I can't see your photo, are we talking about the suppliers cutout fuse or the fuses in your fuseboard?

Have you seen all of the photos? 8 in total. If you can see the fuse holder, you will know what I mean, it is realy OLD. But they are working fine.

This one? I'd still fall into the trap and state BS 3036.
It's not the holder you need a BS number for.

OOI, does anybody know when BS 3036 originated?

Can you advise me what documents define the BS3036? So I can discuss this with the electrician. He was holding a red book published by IEE and said my fuse holder is not BS3036.

No but the fusewire is.

Why is he so adamant to find a BS number for the holder?

The document is BS 3036.

The electrician said, the holder should have something printed on it to say BS????. My holders only have printing : UK patent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back