Fuse protection for an oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new oven and a new cooker outlet connection, however; the instruction manual states the requirement for a 15A - 20A Fuse protection. The Cooker Radial circuit is on a 32A MCB at the consumer unit.

The old oven was wired to a 13A Fused switch which was connected to the 6mm cable from the CCU. Is this an approved alternative way to put fuse protection into the cooker circuit?

I was hoping to use a Click Dual Connection outlet unit as I also have a microwave to wire in as well. One oven is 3.5kW and the other is 2.8 kW. I worked out that this equals a 27A requirement if I were using both ovens at once, which is well within the MCB for the Cooker Circuit.

Any advice on the best way to wire in the oven would be greatly appriecated or whether its just easier to employ the locally sparky.

Cheers

Zip

Sponsored Links
The Cooker Radial circuit is on a 32A MCB at the consumer unit.
So it's too big.

The old oven was wired to a 13A Fused switch which was connected to the 6mm cable from the CCU. Is this an approved alternative way to put fuse protection into the cooker circuit?
It was for the old oven, but it would be too small for the new one.

I was hoping to use a Click Dual Connection outlet unit as I also have a microwave to wire in as well.
Does that not require a fuse? And is it a built-in oven, where you connect a cable to it, or a freestanding one that comes with a flex and a plug? If the latter you can't connect it as you suggest.

Any advice on the best way to wire in the oven would be greatly appriecated or whether its just easier to employ the locally sparky.
I'd advise the latter...

who said a 32A breaker is too big for a 6mm radial?

sounds fine to me..

I'd recomend using a dual box on the end of the 6mm cable, one with a cooker connection unit on it for connection to the new cooker, the other with a single socket on it for connecting the microwave..

as long as the oven is wired in at least 4mm cable then it should all be good..

Sponsored Links
probably specified so you don't put it on a 13A plug...
needs at least a 15A circuit, ( 14.58 based on actual UK voltage of 240v )or 20A circuit ( 15.2A for the euro imposed 230v )

same as why a lot of extract fans say to wire on a 3A fused spur in case you take it from a ring and leave the 13A in the FCU.

and I refer you to 433.3.1 (ii)

433.3.1 is irrelevant - if the manufacturer says 16A then you can't put it on a 32A, no matter what size cable you use...

Why can't you use a 2 way consumer unit inside a local kitchen unit?

Bring the old cooker feed into its main switch, and run two B16 breakers off it, one for the oven and one for the microwave.

Zippy, can you please post exactly ( word for word ) what the instructions say for the electricity supply to the oven...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back