fuse wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me if I put 30 amp fusewire into a 20 amp fusecartridge will it make a difference or matter at all? I cannot find any 20 amp fusewire at all anywhere near me, Lancashire, only 30 amp, please help, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Have you tried searching over the net for the fusewire?

Sponsored Links
yeah i think your only way to get 20A wire is to buy one of those 200g reels i mentioned

if your CU is a wylex i would reccomend replacing it with a plug in mcb instead

also it would be usefull to know what cable type and what it feeds so we can give other suggestions

plugwash said:
vivienmooney what is connected to this 20A fuse and with what cable?
This fuse cardridge serves some of the downstairs electrics, i.e. tv, video, fire, etc... The lighting is not included or affected when this fuse wire blows.

i wouldn't uprate it to 30A without some serious chacking first

you could use 15A wire safely but you may have problems with it blowing repeatedly if you do that

i get the feeling that your house really needs a rewire or at the very least a new CU

its probablly a good idea to get a sparky in, its very hard to advise people remotely when they themselves don't know much about electrics

could be a socket radial. At the end of the day putting 30A fuse wire in here probably won't make a huge difference, (in this case) provided the circuit isn't overloaded with appliances (fire? Bar heater perhaps?) Having said that it is certainly not good practice and the solution suggested by plugwash would be a much better idea. (plug in MCB’s)

Have you considered installing a new modern cu having a PIR prepared on the rest of the installation?

I would either fit a plug in 20amp yellow MCB, or replace it with a plug in cartridge fuse.

And then consider a fuseboard ugrade :)

BR said:
could be a socket radial. At the end of the day putting 30A fuse wire in here probably won't make a huge difference, (in this case) provided the circuit isn't overloaded with appliances (fire? Bar heater perhaps?) Having said that it is certainly not good practice and the solution suggested by plugwash would be a much better idea. (plug in MCB’s)

Have you considered installing a new modern cu having a PIR prepared on the rest of the installation?
If it's a 2.5mm radial, a 30A rewirable fuse is a bad idea.

Even if it's a 4mm you'd need to know the length and the Ze to be sure that a 30A fuse would be OK.

30A *FUSEWIRE* on 4mm is not ok

most fusewire installs will not comply with current regs (cables have to be significantly derated with rewireables because it takes more than 1.5 times overload to blow them in an hour)

and then there is the issue of rcd protection for sockets

i would stick some 15A fusewire in there for now and get a sparky to check everythign out asap

I hope the government ban the use of Wire Fuses as soon as possible - it shows that the UK is still in the Victorian era when it comes to domestic circuit protection!

well they as good as have banned them by requireing you to apply very high derating factors to cables used with them

MB we know you dislike fuses

but you keep making statements about things likely to be in the 17th edition regs and saying you have inside info when other sparkys have got quite clear info that becase they wiring regs are now a birtish standard there will neve be any new editions only ammendments

and whenever you make one of theese statements you refuse point blank to give any more details or info on sources

frankly you seem like a b*llsh*tter

besides banning fuses wouldn't eleminate the huge installed base

I HOPE they ban them, with all this 2005 part p regulation, and new immersion heater safety laws from this year etc coming in, it is surprising they didn't think of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back