fuse wire

Sponsored Links
Atleast a fuse will blow clear, mcb's and mccb's under severe fault conditions can blow CLOSED - not a pretty site if they are not backed up by a good old 1361 or 88 fuse :!:

Only seen it once, the inside of the MCCB allover the plant room :eek:

i think with some types of fuse an arc can stay even after the fusewire melts

i think this is especially so with air spaced fuses (rewirables and glass cartridges)

Shall we give mb one last chance to answer the questions in Ban's list on the s/f forum?

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
Atleast a fuse will blow clear, mcb's and mccb's under severe fault conditions can blow CLOSED - not a pretty site if they are not backed up by a good old 1361 or 88 fuse :!:

Only seen it once, the inside of the MCCB allover the plant room :eek:

On a smilar vein. As a quick fix an electrician at the plant I worked at, replaced a blown 100A HRC fuse with a single strand of .064" copper. The entire 1000KVA switch board was desroyed :eek:

Millennium_Boy said:
I hope the government ban the use of Wire Fuses as soon as possible - it shows that the UK is still in the Victorian era when it comes to domestic circuit protection!
best ban BS1362 pugtop fuses also as they are in the same class

ban-all-sheds said:
He never answers questions like those....

I'LL TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID THEN..

I still think the danger of someone replacing a rewireable fuse, with the mains still on, against a fault, and getting third degree burns and even losing their hand altogether.

Closing a MCB against a fault, (yes even I did that many years ago), only resulted in the mcb tripping out again immediately, and my hand was unharmed. it was a Wylex 16a immersion heater mcb, which tripped because of an earth fault in the immersion heater element.

Perhaps we should ban roads, in case people cross then without looking, or drive down them the wrong way.

And knives, in case people grab the shiny part instead of the handle.

Or Microwave Ovens, in case little old dears put their dogs into them to dry them off.

The Ford Fiesta ad with the car on a pinball machine getting knocked about implies that the car can be pranged without damage. Can I sue Ford for misrepresenting the product?

Only if you can find a giant pinball machine in which to drive it....

Does anybody remember that old VW Golf advert where they dropped one from a height of 15-20'? And did you ever see the film of what really happens when you drop one that far?

Millennium_Boy said:
I'LL TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID THEN..

Furious fanfare............Ban, quick....print this out and pin it up!

This is as important as the falling of the Berlin wall, or the release of Mandela.....!

Get in touch with Reuters....

Yes, I saw the making of the ad: they had to remove the drivetrain to make the car fall more evenly.

Can you post the result of dropping an unmodded Golf? Like to see that...

securespark said:
Yes, I saw the making of the ad: they had to remove the drivetrain to make the car fall more evenly.

Can you post the result of dropping an unmodded Golf? Like to see that...
I doubt if it exists online. Not sure if it predates the Internet, but it certainly predates the Internet as a pervasive presence, and it absolutely predates the technologies for digitising video.

I think it may have been done by Top Gear, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Suffice to say that in reality a VW Golf does not withstand a drop of 15-20' anything like as well as they implied in the advert...

D
O 'T S E IT
N UP S D
O I
P D.....

Most important, the cable that you use must be rated (equal to or) greater than the fuse so that the fuse will trip safely without overloading the cable, (6 mm2 to be safe with a 32 Amp MCB), you can get 32 Amp plug-in Wylex MCB's as a sound replacment to re-wireable fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back