fused isolating switches

bondy said:
get real numpty.
I'm not sure what your problem is, but that was uncalled for.

If you don't want to use unfused plugs & sockets for appliances in order that you can locate the fuses and isolation switches somewhere more convenient then you don't have to.

But it is not valid to maintain that nobody should do so on the grounds that it would mean replacing the plug with a type that not everyone knows about.

Sponsored Links
Don't cut moulded plugs off appliances - there can be warranty/servicing issues.

Do use DP isolators (or FCUs) above worktops supplying unswitched sockets below.

For pull-out appliances the socket can be mounted behind the appliance although I prefer better access.

For built-in appliances mount the socket on the wall behind an adjacent cupboard unit and make sure you can see/reach it to unplug.

In all cases you should be able to unplug the appliance to change the fuse or to test the appliance without dismantling your kitchen.

dingbat said:
Don't cut moulded plugs off appliances - there can be warranty/servicing issues.
Should not be either - how can replacing a plug create warranty issues?

For built-in appliances mount the socket on the wall behind an adjacent cupboard unit and make sure you can see/reach it to unplug.
And what if you have an unbroken run of 3, 4, 5 adjacent appliances?

In all cases you should be able to unplug the appliance to change the fuse or to test the appliance without dismantling your kitchen.
If there is no fuse in the plug then at a stroke you've avoided 50% of that problem....

I agree with Dingbat - Don't cut moulded plugs off under counter appliances. Use DP switch on wall above and non-switched 13A sockets below.

How often do you replace the fuse?

More to the point why do you replace the fuse? Answer - when the appliance has gone faulty, in which case you are likely to have to remove it anyhow for repair. So what is the fuss about having the fuse in the plug??? None

Sponsored Links
BAN,

manufacturers consider cutting the moulded plug off to be "modification" of the equipment. Since the design has been set up with the moulded plug, cutting it off alters the design, hence altering the conformity to the specification. Manufacturers see no obvious distinction between you cutting off and replacing the plug and you opening the cover and replacing a.n. other component with an equivalent one: you can do it, but don't expect them to honour the warranty after you have.

Before you ask, this has been tried, and the view taken by Trading Standards was the one above - changing plugs is no different to changing motors, heating elements or any other component. YOU VOID THE WARRANTY!

M

Inspection of the instruction books I have to hand confirms that removal of the mains plug is not reccomended - some manufacturers acctaully state "Do not Modify or replace the Plug" - not sure what you're supposed to do if the plug gets dmaged - probably replace the whole mains cord as an assembly. They then neatly say that only a qualified electrician should replace the mains cord! (Which begs the question as to whether their engineers are qualified electricians ;) )

I guess its all to do with Warranties and also avoidance of liability claims if somone makes a mistake. I think that the old plug replacement wraparound stickers are disappearing as well? I expect the premise is that if you don't tell someone how to do something then it's not your fault if they do it wrong - not sure if that would work though?
Anyway, if any of the appliances are in Warranty then don't modify them in any way - it's difficult enough getting warranty repairs done anyway!

bondy said:
when have you ever seen appliances fitted with 15a round pin plugs. like, never.
Actually Bondy, the last time I saw appliances fitted with 15A roundpin plugs was...this morning. Neither myself, nor and of the others around found this odd.

bondy said:
if anyone ever see you wire up an appliance like this, they would think you was pulling their pi55a. 99% of people only know one type of socket outlet.

Hmm...so 99% of people don't have/have never seen shaver sockets? Thats a different type of socket outlet. And why exactly would they think you were taking the pi55 even if they hadn't come across a 15A socket? I'm sure that the majority of the british public (even if we aren't including you in this) are sensible enough to realise its just a different shape. I expect most wouldn't care that much either, as long as what you are doing is safe and doesn't look like your horse is tied up outside...

Moving on from my mini rant...Most stuff I buy still has "If you need to change the plug" labels or warnings in the destructions. They were obviously expecting this scenario...

just my £0.02

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back