Fused or Unfused 2-way plug adaptors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the difference between the two? I assume fused is safer in any case?

I currently have a 2 metre 6 gang extension lead from the wall socket, which powers at maximum:

1. Monitor 1 at 30w
2. PC 1 at 250w (max under tests)
3. Monitor 2 at 30w
4. PC 2 at 250w
5. Free - external desktop hard drive - 15w?
6. Broadband router - 10w?

I plan to plug the extension and the router into the 2-way adaptor, leaving a free slot on the extension lead.

Is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Thanks - that's what I was thinking, but was nervous when I learnt that you shouldn't be running extension leads off another entension.

Having said that, I do currently have that configuration on which an old digital redio alarm clock is ran off the first extension, then another extension lead runs off the first; powering:

1. DECT phone charger
2. Electric toothbrush charger / mobile phone charger
3. TV which shouldn't draw more than 120w at most
4. Oil radiator which I think at max draws just over 1500w

Back on topic - what is the difference between a fused and unfused plug adaptor?

Thanks

Back on topic - what is the difference between a fused and unfused plug adaptor?
Simply what it says. In a fused 2-way adapter, there is a fuse (usually 13A) intended to 'limit' the total current that can be drawn via both of the plugged-in plugs to 13A (about 3,000 W). With an unfused one, there is no such fuse, so both of the things plugged in could try to draw 13A each (i.e. 26A in total).

3-way adaptors without fuses are not allowed but, for some reason, 2-way ones are. As you surmise, a fused one is theoretically 'safe' - although, in your situation (with relatively very low loads), it really does not really make much difference.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hello again John - thanks for confiming.

So using an unfused 2-way adaptor with a router and a 6 gang extension lead plugged in poses no issues as per configuration in my first post?

I assume if someone tried to plug in two extension leads into the adaptor, both drawing ~1500w on each lead, this would probably be fine but inadvisable?

On the other hand, I assume it's a fire hazard / will trip the fuse box if those leads exceeded a combined draw of 3120w?

Thinking about it, rather than use a 2-way plug adaptor, I assume I could use a 2 gang one metre extension lead?

Extension on extenions isn't an issue with my setup, is it?

Thinking about it, rather than use a 2-way plug adaptor, I assume I could use a 2 gang one metre extension lead?
You could - and that would be effectively the same as using a fused 2-way adapter, since there would be a 13A fuse in the plug on the lead of the one-metre extension.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again John.

I assume it's recommended not to run extension lead on extension lead due to the length of cables some people may use, but if it's reasonably short - 2 metres plus 2 metres for example, it's not so much of an issue?

Thanks again John. I assume it's recommended not to run extension lead on extension lead due to the length of cables some people may use, but if it's reasonably short - 2 metres plus 2 metres for example, it's not so much of an issue?
Correct - not an issue at all.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks - that's what I was thinking, but was nervous when I learnt that you shouldn't be running extension leads off another entension.
The trouble with chained extension leads, particularly when used on a semi-permanent basis in multi-user environments is that as the chains grow it's easy to lose track of what is plugged in. Combine that with many people being clueless as to what different appliances draw and you have a recipe for overloading.

Yes there is normally a fuse in the plug (unless someone bypassed it), yes the fuse should blow before things go up in smoke, but before you get to that point the conductors will still rise considerably above their normal operating temperature, reducing the life of the plastic that encases them. Overload protection devices are not intended to be used as load-limiting devices.

The trouble with chained extension leads, particularly when used on a semi-permanent basis in multi-user environments is that as the chains grow it's easy to lose track of what is plugged in.
All true, but in context of this thread, as I understand it all the OP is proposing is to change the situation in which one 6-way extension was plugged into a socket into one in which it was plugged into a 1-metre 2-way extension, with a router ("10W") plugged into the other outlet of that short 2-way extension lead - so, surely, in this case, not an issue?

Kind Regards, John

There are two issues, for a single socket the overload issue is not really that bad, having a double socket instead would be same load. But also weight or more to point twisting moments on the socket.

I have some adaptors which due to way the hang off socket put very little strain on socket, others put a lot of strain on the socket.

Sorry, me again!x
I'm sure it's fine. but thought I'll run it by the professionals in this field for safety.

I've discovered a new Masterplug 4-gang 2m individually switched extension lead with surge protection lying around.

I'm thinking of plugging this into the wall socket, then have following running off it:

1. Broadband router (probably 20w max?)
2. External Hard Drive (probably 20w max?)
3. External Hard Drive (probably 20w max?)
4. Plug to existing 6-gang 2m surge-protected extension

At most, the 6 gang may run a maximum 3 monitors (30w each?) and 3 PCs (250w each). Unlikely to ever have 3 sets on at the same time, but assuming stress testing on all three drawing a total of 1500w on the 6 gang extension.

Would there be potential issues with the above configuration?

No one will ever boil a kettle, plug in a microwave or washing machine or run a heater (anything which draws power) on those plugs.

Would there be potential issues with the above configuration?
Do I take it that, because of 'where things are', it couldn't be done 'the other way around' (since it would perhaps be preferable to have the higher loads on the 'first' one? Howve, even as you propose, I would personally see no problem (there is certainly 'worse' in my house :) ).
No one will ever boil a kettle, plug in a microwave or washing machine or run a heater (anything which draws power) on those plugs.
You forgot vacuum cleaners :) Someone may ask you how you can be sure that no-one will ever do those things, but, if I were you, I would be inclined to ignore them!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back