Fused Spur for lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago, I installed outside lights next to the garage door either side switched off a single separate PIR as I wanted them to come on uniformly. I couldn't easily get access to a lighting circuit, so created a spur of the ring and stepped it down using a fused switch, which I put a 5A fuse in.

My "electricians" added a porch light, but re-used the switch, unfortunately since the porch light is not PIR activated - it was always on. This was flagged to my builder as a snag. They have now replaced the Fused switch with what looks like a standard double light switch and no fuse.

Is this allowed? Are my lighting cables now exposed to Amps they aren't rated for?

Sponsored Links
You are correct to be concerned, if they removed the fuse spur and replaced it with a plain switch then your lights are now fused at 30-32A which is wrong.

Well, you are a better electrician than your 'electrician'. Ask your builder if he would like you to quote to put it right:love:
If they have done any other "electrical" work i would want the paperwork for the tests:cautious:.

DS

I would agree you need the fuse and as always one fault which is so bad makes one question the rest of the install. You want all inspection and testing documentation be it minor works or installation certificates i.e. some one needs to sign to say they did the work to BS7671 so in the future errors are traced to one man, the one who signed the paperwork.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips on the sign-off paperwork - the work is subject to building control, which is the only reason why I have electricians doing any of it.

Originally I did wonder how you could confuse a fused spur switch as a light switch. But replacing it with a double light switch does make me worry.

Indeed. Query it and don't pay until you are happy and have the certs.

Is it possible to buy a FCU with two switches? This would solve the problem. But so would installing the old FCU back and creating a separate light switch

Nope, they only make them with one switch.
Options can be use a fused spur and the two gang switches, or use a grid system. Either way will not look as neat as what you had before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back