Fused spur ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been told that you can run more than one spur from a single socket providing you go through a 13A fcu. Is this correct?

If so could I run, from a single socket above a kitchen worktop,(but through an FCU) a single socket to power a cooker ignition on a 3A plug, and also an additional socket to plug a tumble dryer in controlled by a DP switch.

If ive got the above totally pie eyed, any suggestion on how to correctly do it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You've obviously done some research and it sounds fine.

Before routing the cables, check out the Wiki for safe zones and Part P

What would be the best way to run this arrangement i.e do I go...

From exisiting single socket to FCU
From FCU to new single socket for cooker ignition plug
From this socket to the DP switch
From DP switch to single socket for tumble dryer.

or can I just run from the single socket above the work top to the FCU and then run two spurs from that (one via a DP switch) ?

Thanks for any help.

Not quite sure what you mean.

However, if you are spurring off a socket for the new supply, make sure that socket is not a spur itself.

Sponsored Links
Agree with you , just read my mesage back and it is a bit confusing!

What im trying to say is - if i wire the FCU to my exisitng socket - do I then have to run the other two sockets in line?

Not quite sure what you mean.

However, if you are spurring off a socket for the new supply, make sure that socket is not a spur itself.

Knowing nothing about electrics but just nosing through the threads...why not?

Why not what?

If you mean why not spur off an non-fused spur, it's because it contravenes the regs!

What im trying to say is - if i wire the FCU to my exisitng socket - do I then have to run the other two sockets in line?

If you mean take cable from an existing socket on the ring, run it as your spur to a 13A fused connection unit, then run sockets off the load side of the spur, then that sounds ok.

I don't think it really matters whether you run the cables from point to point, but it makes sense to do it logically for ease of understanding at a later date.

Many thanks for your reply securesparks.

That is what i was trying to describe.

Cheers mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back