Fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find the best location for my v10 unit however I'm unsure what to do best with the fused spur as I've read different things.
Do I put it next to Consumer unit and run a cable direct however this will cost me extra as I will have to purchase another key pad for front door?

Put it spurred off a socket up in attic down through stud wall out on wall on landing?

Or spur off a socket by back door?

I would like to put it by front door however I have already spurred off that socket for a socket extension previously. Doubt I'll be able to have 2 spurs from one socket.

Decisions decisions.

Sponsored Links
Have you just added another double socket on the existing?
If so then(up here it is) ok to install a unstitched fused spur by the front door for the panel.
You have just extended the ring main and not spurred of it.

I have already spured off the socket by front door when I was renovating to put another socket on other side of wall.
Unsure what unstitched means?

I know it has an internal battery but Would it really be OK to plug it in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
He means - unSwitched, always best to fit an unswitched fused spur.

Never use a plug & socket with an alarm system, always the above.

ps It will happen, someone will, in the future, switch it off.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing up the unswitched spur and yes I was thinking that it would get switched off.
What do u mean by "always the above"?
Thanks

Bad 3 weeks here, in/out hospital and Drs. like never before, brain is not operating correctly. Not the reason for the visits.

Left off something like, for all supplies of elec. to alarm systems, using spurs for the elec. supply have/should be non switched

You will be ok as you have extended the ring main and spur of a socket.
If your not sure get a spark in and he will provide all the info. Or just plug it in?

I think I'll just bite the bullet buy another panel for front door and put main box upstairs on landing.

Question though does the v10 buttons beep when pressed? Or when arming and un arming?

Can these beeps be made quieter or silenced?
I'm asking as I'm going to put it on landing and at 5.30 in the morning I don't want to wake everyone up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back