fusion 36kw electric central heating boiler

Certainly don't switch to an electric boiler if you already have a gas supply, you would have to be absolutely stark raving bonkers to even consider it. As already mentioned, gas approximately 3.5p/kWh, electricity 13p/kWh on the better tariffs. Even an old, inefficient gas boiler would still heat the house cheaper than with electric heating.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies much appreciated, the reason behind this is we have no gas to property cut of outside 2 years ago empty property, to get it reinstated Had quotes fron gas board and other people cheapest one was £3450 plus vat to £5600 plus vat at this stage just want electric boiler in as i have 12 rads four which are 1200x600 ds the rest are mostly 1000x600 singles hot water is to be run off immersion any way just need to know if a 14kw boiler will cope or the next one up is 24kw which needs three phase according to brochure With thanks brian

Thanks for all your replies much appreciated, the reason behind this is we have no gas to property cut of outside 2 years ago empty property, to get it reinstated Had quotes fron gas board and other people cheapest one was £3450 plus vat to £5600 plus vat

Wow, what a rip. My property had never had a gas supply up until about 6 months ago, putting one in involved running a new pipe from the street main and installing the meter. Total cost was just over £600.

at this stage just want electric boiler in as i have 12 rads four which are 1200x600 ds the rest are mostly 1000x600 singles hot water is to be run off immersion any way just need to know if a 14kw boiler will cope or the next one up is 24kw which needs three phase according to brochure With thanks brian

If you really want to go that route then it's your choice, but if it must be electric then I would seriously recommend you consider an air source heat pump. Although not quite as effective as ground source, it will be a LOT cheaper to run than an electric boiler. In fact, there's one on eBay here going for under £1000 at the moment, so even the initial costs can be cheaper too. It even includes a hot water tank!

However, you would need to ensure that your radiators are properly sized, as if they could only just cope with the water from a gas boiler then they will be undersized for use with a heat pump. This is because the water flow temperatures from a heat pump are lower than that from a typical boiler, hence why they are usually coupled with underfloor heating.

In terms of working out the heat loading of your house, nobody can answer that without knowing room sizes and the amount (and type) of insulation. I suggest you buy yourself a 3kW fan heater, put it in your rooms one by one and see how long (if it all) it takes to get the room up to temperature. You can then use this as a very rough guide as to the output you require from the boiler. I realise this doesn't take into account that when the CH is on the rest of the house would be heated around the room, although it makes sense to overestimate a little. In a modern house I suspect 14kW would be enough to cover CH requirements, but in an older house it may leave you cold.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
36 kW is 123,ooo BTU. Avg house normally has about 80-100k BTU and like said these are not as efficient as electric.
All I know is I've got a 28kW combi in a small-ish 3-bed semi, 6 rads and a towel rail, and this guy has 14 rads to heat.

Mine was by no means the biggest that that particular manufacturer made, and still isn't - I've just checked, and their combis go up to 42kW and their regular ones up to 40kW. And they are firmly aimed at the domestic market.

I'll ask the CH guys.....

Sponsored Links
[url=http://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/]The electric Heating Company[/url] said:
For larger commercial properties please enquire about our
3 Phase Fusion Electric Boilers which are available in 24kW and
36kW outputs.

^I agree with the heat pump. another consideration would be solar heating tanked hot water, it has set up costs but so does 3phase! you would probably be best with a number of options

solar + ground source heat pump +off peak electricity, but it will be a case of weighing up the cost and cons of each to see which suits you best.

Had quotes fron gas board and other people cheapest one was £3450 plus vat[
It may sound like a lot but it seems to me like the much higher running cost of electricity will mean the breakeven point is only a few years. A ground source heat pump system will have running costs comparable to gas but is very expensive to install.

Three phase electric supplies won't be cheap to get installed either and unless things are very well insulated I agree that a 12KW boiler is a bit on the small side.

I do think it's evil the way they treat reinstatements like new supplies and price accordingly though.

I do think it's evil the way they treat reinstatements like new supplies and price accordingly though.
Really? I think it's evil that such businesses, during the period of government ownership, made such a poor job of preventative maintenance that we're all now having to pay not only for the whole nine stitches (instead of one) but an additional fat margin to pay for directors bonuses and shareholders dividends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back