fusion 36kw electric central heating boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thinking of changing gas boiler to the fusion 36kw does anyone know how many rads it can feed as i have 14 in total 5 which are doubles 1200 x 600 rest diffrent sizes, also what amp cable will i have to get run to it as this might be expensive ,boiler inc vat £1034 which aint bad to get rid of gas.It says in basic literature 3 phase have no idea what this is just thought ask some advise before going ahead Thanks Brian

Sponsored Links
36kW is huge. 3 phase is a type of wiring normally used in industrial properties, though large houses have it. Most houses are single phase (i.e. with one main fuse rather than two or three)

Start by working out the volume of the rooms you need to heat. Then you can convert into watts or btus to work out what size boiler you need.

Here is a btu calculator.

You need to ask your electricity supplier to quote you for providing a three-phase supply, and an electrician to quote you for providing a suitable circuit with suitable isolation and protection, and ten make your decision based on the total cost of installation.

curious to know why you want to double your running costs!!!

gas at around 4p a kw electric around 10p a kw!!!

Sponsored Links

No (sigh), those are the fuel costs, but with gas some of the energy goes flying out of the flue. Also, gas boilers tend to cost more to maintain, and don't have as long a lifetime, so the only realistic measurement is the total cost of ownership.

Plus, if you have no other gas appliances, you won't be paying an extra standing charge for the fuel.

Start by working out the volume of the rooms you need to heat. Then you can convert into watts or btus to work out what size boiler you need.
If it does DHW too then 36kW isn't outrageous - nobody would brand a 36kW gas combi as "huge"....

36 kW sounds immense. A house I'm working in recently had a 6kW boiler to run the heating temporarily, while it wasn't up to the job of heating 16+ rooms in building site conditions (2" gaps under external doors, badly boarded windows etc) adequately it did maintain about 10-15 degrees (while outside was about 0)

36 kW is 123,ooo BTU. Avg house normally has about 80-100k BTU and like said these are not as efficient as electric.

Another option to consider is wet off peak storage system.

even 36Kw on a standard TP supply is pushing it! You would be looking for more then a standard 80/100 TP supply to supply both the boiler and a home.

even 36Kw on a standard TP supply is pushing it! You would be looking for more then a standard 80/100 TP supply to supply both the boiler and a home.

30 amps? Should give plenty to run a home on balence of one phase, if it's large you'd have to split floors across phases which might get a little complicated if you want to avoid 400v at any one location.

If the rest of the house is balanced across the phases, I guess you would be ok.

It's things like a shower or cooker that would make things difficult on a phase by phase type basis.

No (sigh), those are the fuel costs, but with gas some of the energy goes flying out of the flue. Also, gas boilers tend to cost more to maintain, and don't have as long a lifetime, so the only realistic measurement is the total cost of ownership.

had allowed for the gas to only be 75% efficient making it 5p a unit and thats why i said half /double ;)

its the thought off up to £3.60 an hour for heating [albeit for short periods]horrifies me :cry: :cry: ;)

We have done several of these lecky boilers, all generally being for sites out in the sticks with no mains gas, and no chance of LPG or oil due to delivery impossibilities.

When compared to storage rads and panel heaters they are kind of on-par, perhaps a little better, but compared to gas? They are shocking! Who knows in 10 yrs time, but for now, I would hate to see my house heated this way!

Those electric boilers use massive amounts of electricity, you will not be saving anything compared to gas.

If you don't already have a 3 phase supply (you probably don't), having one installed could easily be thousands of pounds.

Modern gas boilers should be over 90 percent efficient.
Don't be fooled by the electric boiler manufacturers claims of little or no maintenance - electric boilers have plenty of parts which can and do go wrong.

Another option could be these:
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...rgy/Types-of-renewables/Air-source-heat-pumps

Another option could be these:
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...s-of-renewables/Air-source-heat-pumps[/QUOTE]
Beat me to it!

Even better is ground source. Could end up cheaper than getting 3phase fitted, and CERTAINLY cheaper running costs.

An electric boiler, shall we assume 95% efficient at the point of use.
A GS heat pump can be up to 400% efficient. ;) I kid you not (stick in 4kw, get out 16kw etc)

Though many of these are 3phase, single phase models are widely available for household use.

And its not a perpetual motion machine, it works like your fridge. It takes heat that naturally occurs in the ground and uses it to heat your home. The power is used to gather the heat. A large compressor. Air source heat pumps are very common - go into your local shop and look up, you'll see them on the ceiling (air conditioners) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back