Future Electricity Costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of recent design projects have brought this into focus. One is a manor house with very poor insulation and no prospect of upgrading due to listing control. The existing heating is dead as a doornail. Clients wanted a heat pump but the numbers don't add up. This place is big and the unit would be the size of a minibus and even then would not heat the place. So, the result is that they are forced to go with a new oil system. It goes against the grain but a detailed costing process ruled everything else out. But, the question is; what would be the situation if they were several years down the line and an oil boiler was not an option and, secondly, what will they do when this new oil boiler expires? So, the future?

The house is too big for a single electric boiler, so the system is designed around 4 zones and the install will run pipes to 4 identified future boiler locations. We will also put cables in ready. This will allow the system to be fairly easily converted to electric boilers later. But the running cost (when this occurs) is absolutely ridiculous.

I know this is a particularly acute case but millions in the future will be faced with upgrade costs they can't afford or running costs they can't afford. I just can't see how electricity costs can stay at the current rates. And I don't mean the current, current super high rates, I mean the normal rates as we knew them a while back. It simply will not be affordable for most people. The only solution I see is that electricity rates will have to be brought down to affordable levels. Remember; all new building regulations are based around electricity only. A time is coming when there will be no other option.

Sponsored Links
Guessing a biomass boiler would be unviable?

Sponsored Links
A success story for a flowing water sourced heat pump installation.

A lake with no significant water flow would have to be quite large.

Ground source requires a large area of land with the coils set deep into the ground.

Almost everyone I know with oil fired heating is moving to biomass.

Heat pumps only work in the word soups & sound bites of ecological fantasists.

Ground source requires a large area of land with the coils set deep into the ground.

The property in question required
3 x 24 kw lake pumps

Massive amounts of pipe were sunk
Into the bottom of the lske

The prop also had to have 3 phase
Electrical supply

The entire caper cost in excess of a quarter of a million

The prop was built about 200 years ago

Not impressed tbh Luke warm rads at best hot water via immersion boost

The same estate have two district bio masse installs serving 20 ish props via under ground circuits

Both bio masse boilers have packed up one for over a year an Italian make spares hard to obtain ???

The other one is an Austrian set up

Both systems are running at this moment in time on oil back up boilers

When I am
Next at the office I will put up some pics of the lake source caper

Quite how this bio masse is enviromental freindly is beyond me ? both sites smell constantly from wood smoke

But they have there own chipping plant

Last edited:
I don't see the relevance of a draughty old mansion to anyone in the real world.
Either the property becomes uninhabitable or the listing department allows sympathetic insulation.
Spot-on. Either we modernise and give up making the history a museum with people living in it or we just abandon this sort of place.

Most more normal houses are capable of being retro-insulated, heated and generally modernised.

Owners of listed buildings should have the right to improve their homes right up to the latest newbuild standards, if there's a way of doing it sympathetically then do so, but history should be sacrificed for basic human rights and the environment.

The idea that anyone should be prevented from fitting basics such as double glazing in their own home is just ridiculous. If the government really thinks that buildings should be preserved at all costs then they should buy the places and run them as museums. I know a historic town, one of very many where they all have single-glazed sash windows, without even secondary glazing so presumably not allowed.

But massive oversized castles with a couple of millionaires rattling about inside it? Irrelevant to most people, and not worth caring about. If regulations mean that they have to downsize then that's better for everyone.

I've been inside a few churches - stone façade, inside and out. How do you go about insulating those bad boys? :unsure:

Wouldn't solar panels be of some use in a future heating system to offset costs from using electricity?

Wouldn't solar panels be of some use in a future heating system to offset costs from using electricity?
Yes and no.

In the UK then a typical PV system produces something like 8x as much during summer as it does during winter. No sensible sized system would ever be able to directly power a heat pump system over winter, but it could cover summer use, earn some money selling to the grid and pop off a few quid in winter.

Can be done vertically to reduce the sq m needed.

Sponsored Links
Back