Gas or electric shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm not sure if I've posted in the right section as I didn't know whether to go in electrics, or plumbing and heating?

After seeing my energy renewal quote and nearly falling off my chair earlier I've been wondering what the best way to go about saving energy might be.

I'd like to get a heat pump but what with the green energy grant going under I can't afford one at the minute.

I have a non-condensing Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 that in the manual says it's a 14.8kw boiler. I usually don't have the hot water turned on as it's apparently a weird set-up with an electrically heated immersion and a Spartan recovery tank. I have an 8.5kwh electric shower and a dishwasher, but use the boiler still for central heating.

Could someone help me work out what would be cheaper, gas or electric please for a ten minute shower? Gas is 8.37p, electric is 33p/kWh.

I worked out that the shower would cost £2.84 if left running for an hour, and the gas £1.30.

So £2.84/6=47p

I've estimated half an hour for water to heat up and be showered, so £1.30/2=65p.

Is there something I've missed as I figured gas would be cheaper, obviously it's on for longer though.

Does anybody know of any grants or anything for renewable energy at the minute please and also, what does a half decent combi-boiler cost nowadays?

Sponsored Links
The gas would be cheaper to heat the water, but the electric shower is more efficient %wise. The other thing to consider is the cost of fitting a power shower to run off the cylinder, unless you are in the process of renewing your bathroom, I would stick to the electric shower.

You won't save much by cutting your gas or electric consumption because the companies have raised their standing charges to high levels in anticipation of people using less. That way they can keep the money rolling in whatever customers do.

Bastards.

Hi all, I'm not sure if I've posted in the right section as I didn't know whether to go in electrics, or plumbing and heating?

After seeing my energy renewal quote and nearly falling off my chair earlier I've been wondering what the best way to go about saving energy might be.

I'd like to get a heat pump but what with the green energy grant going under I can't afford one at the minute.

I have a non-condensing Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 that in the manual says it's a 14.8kw boiler. I usually don't have the hot water turned on as it's apparently a weird set-up with an electrically heated immersion and a Spartan recovery tank. I have an 8.5kwh electric shower and a dishwasher, but use the boiler still for central heating.

Could someone help me work out what would be cheaper, gas or electric please for a ten minute shower? Gas is 8.37p, electric is 33p/kWh.

I worked out that the shower would cost £2.84 if left running for an hour, and the gas £1.30.

So £2.84/6=47p

I've estimated half an hour for water to heat up and be showered, so £1.30/2=65p.

Is there something I've missed as I figured gas would be cheaper, obviously it's on for longer though.

Does anybody know of any grants or anything for renewable energy at the minute please and also, what does a half decent combi-boiler cost nowadays?
Electric shower as there is no wasted hot water. You must be filthy to need 10minutes in there.!!!

Sponsored Links
electric shower you need ten mins of running about in it to get wet

You won't save much by cutting your gas or electric consumption because the companies have raised their standing charges to high levels in anticipation of people using less. That way they can keep the money rolling in whatever customers do.

Bastards.
I fhink they are doing this to get round the price cap as I am not sure whether it covers the standing charge!

If you are considering a combi

always have a leccy shower imo
In particular in rentals

combi go’s t*ts up you end up with nowt

If your going to have a Combi boiler I'd stick with an electric shower..... An electric shower will be your back up hot water if your boiler packs up.

If you are considering a combi

always have a leccy shower imo
In particular in rentals

combi go’s t*ts up you end up with nowt

You got there before me... its what I always tell my customers. Advise I never took up myself when I fitted a combi....

I fhink they are doing this to get round the price cap as I am not sure whether it covers the standing charge!

Thanks all, I've been using the electric shower for the past 15 odd years so ill stick with it, I just wondered if now prices had gone proper mental gas might be the better option.

Plus I wouldn't fit a power shower, I always remember my Nan having one of those mixer tap adaptors that you could put a shower on, may have to have a look for one!

The standing charge is covered by the ofgem cap, it's £0.45 per day for electric and £0.27 for gas.

Anyone have any experience of solar panels, either fitment or grants to get them please? Been looking for a while now, housing association says I can get them, gch system is 20 years old now and everything other than my hob and gch is electric.

I've always preferred gas for the shower. Depending on your water pressure I have always found the pressure to be higher and the water hotter than any electric shower, including electric power showers.
Minimum shower time for me is at least 20 minutes basking in that glorious heat and pulsating pressure across my shoulders after a hard day at work or in the garden. Can't understand people who like getting a bath and laying in dirty water. You also have to keep topping up with hot water or it can feel cool rather quickly

If there is a difference between the cost of a gas shower versus electric shower (which would vary depending on the setup) any saving would be completely outweighed by the cost of changing the setup.

Sponsored Links
Back