Gainsborough Style 400X 8.5kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This shower was in my house when I bought it July 2008. Not too sure
for how long prior to that. The water is scalding when in use, and the
Control Switch rotates left to right (Hot to Cold). Unable to get a comfortable temperature. Is it possible that it has been wired wrongly :?: or would it be safer to replace it with a new unit.

Any advice would be welcome :idea:

Many thanks in Advance

D

Sponsored Links
I doubt that it has been wired wrong, but the fault could well be with the shower it's self, the thermal cutout?, do you have a manual that gives troubleshooting faults?

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have any information on this shower. I may just google it and see what comes up.

Once again thanks for the mention of the manual

Dee

I doubt that it has been wired wrong, but the fault could well be with the shower it's self, the thermal cutout?, do you have a manual that gives troubleshooting faults?

I have just looked at the Gainsborough Website and this shower is now obsolete. So must be older than I realised.

Will replace it when funds allow.

D

Sponsored Links
Does the water temperature or pressure alter at all when you turn the knob? (both should because the way electric showers work is they alter the rate of flow, so that the water spends more or less time in the heater can being heated. So turn temp up > water slows down > water gets hotter. )

Is it running on mains water? Or gravity feed from a tank in the loft? They MUST be run on mains, they need water pressure to run.

Electric showers go obselete all the time, it doesnt mean its old. ;) Should have a date on its data label.

fault could well be with the shower it's self, the thermal cutout?,

faulty tco won't cause a shower to only run hot.

Gainsborough Website and this shower is now obsolete.

all parts are still available for this shower.

you don't tell us if it is hot on low or high setting.
if the flow is altering from cold/hot.

more like a flow issue but with no info fault can't be identified.

Today I decided to remove the cover and see if there were any obvious
loose connections. It runs off the mains water, so there is quite a strong flow of incoming water. The shower is now running cold all the time.
Have tried fiddling with the control knob (don't laugh) :LOL: Left / right/Hot/cold switch. I get the change in water speed which is still cold.
There is an oblong copper canister (which is assume is the water heater)
maybe/maybe not :?: At the bottom of this canister where the shower hose connection is, there is an electrical connection closeby which is corroded. I feel this may be the problem.

As I am no electrical expert, I think I might seek the services of an
electrician or perhaps a new shower might be cheaper, going on today's
labour charges which seem to be rather expensive.

[b]Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Much appreciated[/b].

D

fault could well be with the shower it's self, the thermal cutout?,

faulty tco won't cause a shower to only run hot.

Gainsborough Website and this shower is now obsolete.

all parts are still available for this shower.

you don't tell us if it is hot on low or high setting.
if the flow is altering from cold/hot.

more like a flow issue but with no info fault can't be identified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back