Garage Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted this on a security specific forum so forgive me if you have come across this as well!

A bit of background first.

My father has a garage / workshop at the bottom of the garden and so is remote from the house. There is vehicular access to the garage by a private access road which serves all the houses in the street, and a personal door into the garden. A recent attempt was made at breaking into the garage by both the vehicular and personal doors by removing some of the timber.

There is an alarm in the garage which I fitted about 1993. The panel is an ADE Optima XM6 panel with contacts on the two wooden doors giving vehicular access and the personal door. I have also fitted a PIR which covers the windows as well as the doors. The siren is mounted facing the house.

In this case the alarm did not trigger as there was no entry into the garage. So the questions are:

1. Would it be worth adding shock sensors to any of the doors?
2. Would it be worth adding an additional SCB bellbox on the gable end facing the access road? Does it advertise or deter?
3. Is it worth updating the panel?
4. Are there any radio links that can be used to connect the garage alarm to the house alarm that will trigger either a full external alarm or internal sounder in the event of an activation in the garage? The garage alarm is difficult to hear at the front of the house.

I can provide diagrams if it helps.

Thanks for any advice or input.

Sponsored Links
1. yes, if you can get new wireless shock sensors to work with an old panel
2. if the Bellbox can be interfaced onto the main system then put a live one on the shed, if not, a dummy with a couple of flashing LEDS to make it look like a live box.
3. the panel is old, and a new panel would help, but if the old one still works, replace the battery (NAINS VOLTAGE INSIDE THE COVER) if you haven't recently and test it to make sure it works.
4. not sure about radio links, there's one made my rokonet called the NOVA which seems quite good.

hi all down to costs really, yes a second bell box would be a deterrent as for panel if it's working ok leave it alone, but check or change battery as ade panels don't like old batteries ( burns out resistor) as for wireless link look for the visionic wt 100 and wr 200 or the old scantronic 4600 wireless equipment ( allways plenty on ebay ) as you can fit larger aerials to this equipment to improve range this can be connected to the alarm in the house or to a buzzer or sounder.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back