Garage conversion but meters on walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so we are converting our garage (linked to the 1960's house) into a habitable room. The walls are double leaf brick without cavity. I will therefore need Celotex Insulated internal plasterboard sheets - do you know if 75mm cellotex is the minimum acceptable thickness? Can I simply bond it to the brick walls or are batterns essential?

Also if I do use say 75mm cellotex plasterboard, for U-values will building regs allow me to plasterboard snugly around the gas/elec meters & pipes(see photos), & then box them in, as getting utility co's out to move them say 100mm away from walls or gas-engineers or sparkys will be a pain & costly? Or maybe I need to make the box from 75mm insulated plasterboard to avoid it becoming a coldspot?

Same question for gas pipes running against walls? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20211125_145745.jpg
    20211125_145745.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20211125_150052.jpg
    20211125_150052.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Yes it's acceptable to insulate up to the meters.

I thought 80mm was minimum Celotex for the common GA4000, but it depends on the actual product

Looking at the pictures, is the electric meter near the front?
What’s on the other side? House or next door?

could the meters be moved into the area previously occupied by the garage door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back