Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
I am looking to convert my attached single garage into a dining room. The property already has planning permission as it was a 2 floor extension so the foundations will be ok to take the weight of the bricked up door. There is a bedroom directly above so presume ceiling will be ok as it is. The walls are all breeze/brick cavity. What, in terms of insulation would be needed for the walls? Also, i intend to install a suspended timber floor and would like to know requirements regarding joist size, spacing, height from floor and DPC. I appreciate that building regs will apply but want to get a feel for whats involved and potential cost.
Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Hi everybody,
I am looking to convert my attached single garage into a dining room. The property already has planning permission as it was a 2 floor extension so the foundations will be ok to take the weight of the bricked up door. There is a bedroom directly above so presume ceiling will be ok as it is. The walls are all breeze/brick cavity. What, in terms of insulation would be needed for the walls? Also, i intend to install a suspended timber floor and would like to know requirements regarding joist size, spacing, height from floor and DPC. I appreciate that building regs will apply but want to get a feel for whats involved and potential cost.
Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

ceiling should be fine.

are the walls not already insulated???.if so then theyare fine.the new wall will be same as existing presumably so get cavity batts to match basically.

is the garage floor not only 100mm lower than the house floor????.in which case,i would level with sand to the highest point( if there is a slope on existing floor),then lay your celotex or similar,then ya DPM and then your chipborad,glueing joints and leaving an expansion gap around perimeters.

cant really comment on cost due to lack of info on size and materials to be used but i did one not too long ago including blocking a new wall for a store area and a door way knocked through to the house,was only about 3k

The cheapest conversion we have ever done is £4k. this too was an integral garage.

We tried to leave bricking up the garage door as late into the job as possible, so as to facilitate getting stuff in like large plasterboards etc.

Hi,
Thanks for prompt replies.
No mention of timber joists, i take it by 'Celotex' you mean screed? If so, how is this applied and how is the dpc membrane laid in relation to external wall? Also, if cavity not insulated, what would you suggest?

Thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
just lay the celotex on the existing slab/sand and then the DPM and then the chipboard just lays on the top.glue the joints tho

Hi,
I not sure i understand (me thicko!). How thick is this Celotex? Is it not used in conjunction with timber joists? Is it that rigid that flooring grade chipboard just lays on top of it?

Gary.

no joists needed and yes it will take the chipboard on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back