garage done the work without telling me the cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Auxiliary belt snapped on my fiesta last week and had to go to a mechanic on asking him via text how much it would be he stated £15ish today he texted me with a bill of £196.50 (£151.50parts / £45 labour) im very annoyed that he didn't tell me of the price before going ahead have I got any grounds to complain?

Sponsored Links
I get the feeling as it was a text message this person is a bit more than just a mechanic maybe a not so close friend?

Any work I have ever had done in a garage has always had a phone call to advise of cost before going a head.

You can't have really believed £15 could you ? Maybe he missed a zero off. The belt itself would have been about that much.

What was your response to his text ,the one he quoted 15 quid ?

Sponsored Links
15 quid for the belt is about right, plus one hour labour? Takes less time than that to fit one anyway.
John :)

Did he replace any pulleys? Water pump? You may have had them seize which snapped the belt. Ask him exactly what parts were changed. If he says just the belt, he’s taking the ****.

It depends on what you asked him to do.

Clearly he did more than just replace the aux belt for that money.

Also drives the water pump - replacing the water pump at the same time would have/has been a prudent measure.

Nozzle

Surely not? If it was a cam belt driven pump and you were changing the cam belt, fine, but not a water pump driven by the aux belt. On that basis you’d also be changing idler pulleys, alternator, power steering pump, aircon compressor.....

I thought water pump, what with pumping water full of oxygen, were prone to corrosion and so seals have a tendancy to fail much sooner than say an oil system. But this may just be bluster! I agree though, makes way more sense on a cam belt..

Nozzle

Last edited:
The main problem with a cam belt driven pump, is that if the bearings fail it’s as good as the cam belt/tensioner/guide pulley failing which leads to major engine destruction. Also, many pumps have a plastic impeller which can fall off and most replacements have a pressed steel impeller. It’s very easy to change a cam belt driven pump while you have everything stripped down - normally just a few extra bolts!

Sponsored Links
Back