RLJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm looking to convert my new garage intk additional room used for working in.
It's single skin detached with a pitched roof newly built (if that makes a difference).

Obviously I want to make this into a normal room adequately insulated and holds of the mould that seems to appear after a while currently.

I will get the garage door bricked up with a upvc window. I will board it all out myself and then get a plaster in to skim it over.

Am I best to use 25mm celotex with plasterboard over the top fixed to studs on the walls (25mm to maintain as much internal space as possible) then either larger diameter celotex in the roofspace or rockwool.

Or.. dot and dab insulted boards directly to the wall although don't think most of these come with a vapour barrier which may be needed?

Does this seem okay or am I missing anything obvious?

There Is damp proof membrane above the damp course bricks but I have also brought dpc gel to insert into the brickwork.

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I'm looking to convert my new garage intk additional room used for working in.
It's single skin detached with a pitched roof newly built (if that makes a difference).

Obviously I want to make this into a normal room adequately insulated and holds of the mould that seems to appear after a while currently.

I will get the garage door bricked up with a upvc window. I will board it all out myself and then get a plaster in to skim it over.

Am I best to use 25mm celotex with plasterboard over the top fixed to studs on the walls (25mm to maintain as much internal space as possible) then either larger diameter celotex in the roofspace or rockwool.

Or.. dot and dab insulted boards directly to the wall although don't think most of these come with a vapour barrier which may be needed?

Does this seem okay or am I missing anything obvious?

There Is damp proof membrane above the damp course bricks but I have also brought dpc gel to insert into the brickwork.

Thanks in advance..
25mm on the walls is not going to do much, unless the walls are currently insulated cavity walls?

There isn't a cavity or any insulation at the minute no just single skin.

Ah okay, trouble is I don't want to reduce the size inside to much so it was seeing what I could get away with.

Are we saying celotex is a better way forward than insulated plasterboard though?

Sponsored Links
No building control approval. I'm in the UK don't believe I require it. Feel free to let me know if I am wrong

No building control approval. I'm in the UK don't believe I require it. Feel free to let me know if I am wrong
I guess not if it’s an outbuilding and under 30 sq ms internally and you aren’t making it into a habitable space

If closer than 1 metre from boundary and over 15 sq m it needs buildings regs as it needs to comply with spread of fire, but I think only compliance on that, not thermal elements etc.

Electrics needs to comply whatever

Hi all,
Has anyone used this [Interior Prestige paint] before? Looking for feedback on application, coverage, durability, and color accuracy. Any other recommendations are welcome too!
Thanks,

Yeah it's only a 6x3 single garage and won't be habitable. Electrics already in there

Using it as an additional room to work in basically. Cold and damp at the minute

Office space but potential for games room or just general room in the future so want to attempt to do it half right the first time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back