Garage shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had racking in the garage, which was fine when I wasn't using it as a garage, but sticks out too much to get a car in. I now want to get one in, do maintenance etc, so need to put shelves up instead.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what's best/cheapest/easiest? It won't have to carry anythgin very heavy, just the usual tins of paint, tools, general bits and pieces etc.

In the past, I've usually made my own like this:

IMAG1041.jpg

- but it's a bit of work, and it might be easier to use those B&Q slotted uprights and brackets that hang from the slots... ?

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to go with slotted bars on the walls as you say

It can be a pain but once they are up they are there for good and shelves can be adjusted

You can get a drop down table that fits spur shelving so it is pretty versatile

Twin slotted is what I have , Spur is the name, cheaper copy is Sparring , slightly thinner uprights but both brands interchangeable.

Thanks both – OK I think, as you say, twin slotted stuff is the way to go. I reckon 220/225mm will be deep enough for me.

So the next thing is the actual shelves. My local supply yard seems to have two offerings – planks (I’m sure that’s not the technical term :LOL:) or this stuff

Not sure if actual wood will cross bigger spans between brackets without sagging etc, or if the Dekaply stuff will be rigid enough... what did you use?

Sponsored Links
I have a fair bit of twin-spur and conti-board shelves in my workshop. I use that for storing my timber.

If you don't need storage for long stuff, then it's worth looking at B&Qs cheap kitchen wall units too. I have some of these too, they're cheap, easy to hang and reasonably strong. You can put doors on them and stop your stuff getting full of dust etc and they look better. I have some that are heavily loaded, for those I just fix a batten to the wall underneath to take the weight as otherwise everything is hung from the top of the cabinet and they will sag over time. For tool storage I've added some extra shelves so I have some narrow spaces to put chisels etc in.

I have a fair bit of twin-spur and conti-board shelves in my workshop. I use that for storing my timber.

If you don't need storage for long stuff, then it's worth looking at B&Qs cheap kitchen wall units too. I have some of these too, they're cheap, easy to hang and reasonably strong. You can put doors on them and stop your stuff getting full of dust etc and they look better. I have some that are heavily loaded, for those I just fix a batten to the wall underneath to take the weight as otherwise everything is hung from the top of the cabinet and they will sag over time. For tool storage I've added some extra shelves so I have some narrow spaces to put chisels etc in.
Store most my tools in the ceiling .

Cool, I wasn't sure if you'd just done it because you wanted to. I have it vaguely on my list to get all my power tools into some similar space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back