Garage (with asbestos roof) demolition - potential cost and where to get quotes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have an old garage, with corrugated asbestos roof, that I want removing (380cms wide, 670cms long, 260cms tall).

I want roof and walls removing but am happy to leave the concreate base as it is.

Firstly, I would be really grateful for a very rough ballpark figure for the work (I am based in Essex).

Secondly, is it better to get separate companies to do the roof and then the walls or a single company to do both?

Thirdly, where should I start getting quotes from? Should I use one of those trustatrader websites, for example?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Years ago I had a concrete panelled garage with an asbestos roof that I wanted to remove. I estimated 3 skips. I spoke to my local bin men. They quoted £100 to take the whole thing down and take it away. I suspect that they were going to resell the wall panels. I mentioned that the corrugated roof was probably asbestos and asked them if they wanted me to soak it first. They didn't seem to care...

This was about 15 years ago. I have no idea what the current rules are but the following offers some advice

Some councils may have a free collection and disposal system

If it's a prefab in reasonable condition and suitable for reuse then you could offer it free on eBay or Facebook - conditional on them taking/disposing of the roof. Do some research with your local authority - they will often accept it double wrapped free of charge from private individuals.

I have no idea what the current rules are...
They were pretty much the same as they are these days, @opps . About the only major difference now is that asbestos waste is supposed to be stored/transported in a lockable skip. And of course they cost more.

The main thing for the OP to ensure is that they get written proof that the waste has been taken in the form of a waste transfer notice - at which point it's the contractor's responsibility

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much.

Unfortunately, the garage really is dropping to bits - it is a mix of breeze blocks and bricks with a sort of stony cement on the outside that has fallen away over the years.

I guess my first port of call is to give the council a ring and ask for some initial advice and then take things from there.

Double bag the asbestos and take it to the local tip for disposal.
Can you get a grab lorry in to take the garage away once its dismantled?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back