garden bench wax

My parents have had the same wild goose chase with B&Q who finally said they wouldn't be stocking it. i think everyone should write and complain to B&Q for selling an item that you cant buy the care stuff for in their shop.

Sponsored Links
Ok, bought the 'Harrogate' Roble bench from B&Q.
Had it out in the garden exposed to the elements for a couple of weeks (still to get the liquid wax treatment)

Weather wise we have had a bit of a downpour or 2 over the last few days.
The bench now looks like it has the pox! Horrible little black spots all over it which seem to be ingrained into the wood. Bench is dried out but the spots remain and rubbing with a damp cloth doesn't help.
Is this normal?
Should I take the bench back? Would the liquid wax help?
Any help appreciated folks

was it treated with a water-repellent preservative before you left it out in the rain, or is it bare wood?

Sponsored Links
then you have only yourself to blame :(

Wood is a natural product, and if left out in the rain it is attacked by rot and insects.

Get it under cover and dry it out, sand it clean, apply a wood bleach, then a preservative stain (if It was me I would apply Cuprinol Clear preservative and let it dry before staining or oiling it)

then you have only yourself to blame :(

Wood is a natural product, and if left out in the rain it is attacked by rot and insects.

Get it under cover and dry it out, sand it clean, apply a wood bleach, then a preservative stain (if It was me I would apply Cuprinol Clear preservative and let it dry before staining or oiling it)

I bought a Roble table and bench Summer 08 - and the wood looks awful by now - and I had mine treated - it came treated when bought and has had two coats of Robel wax twice - before the winter and then again during.

Has JohnD read the posts or does he know something we don't? The whole point of this thread (I thought) was that everyone is discouraged from using oil and preservative - as it is unsuitable for this kind of wood.

I for one wouldn't buy roble wood again - especially as B&Q don't have any aftercare for it.

Has anybody risked oil or the Cuprinol stuff - how does it look - because this Wax stuff is utter rubbish by the look of my table by now.

Ok, bought the 'Harrogate' Roble bench from B&Q.
Had it out in the garden exposed to the elements for a couple of weeks (still to get the liquid wax treatment)

Weather wise we have had a bit of a downpour or 2 over the last few days.
The bench now looks like it has the pox! Horrible little black spots all over it which seem to be ingrained into the wood. Bench is dried out but the spots remain and rubbing with a damp cloth doesn't help.
Is this normal?
Should I take the bench back? Would the liquid wax help?
Any help appreciated folks

Take it back to B+Q.

The products are supposed to be pre-treated with the wax which is supposed to prevent the problem that you describe.

My furniture has been out since the beginning of the summer and it has been rainy for the last couple of weeks and shows no signs of the mold growth you are experiencing; it has not yet had a re-coat of the Roble aftercare wax either.

I work for B&Q and i can comfirm that you should use 5010212524480 - Cuprinol Stay New Gard Furniture 500ml,5010212529003 - Cuprinol Teak Oil Gel 500ml.

Hope this helps

Is that an official B&Q position that we can check on their website?

I emailed Cuprinol to ask about using Stay New on Roble and they said that they've tested it over the past 6 months and are now happy to recommend it - good job too since I'd already coated a table and two chairs with it.
It's supposed to be invisible but has given the very pale Roble a slightly more natural browny-orange tint and a rougher feel (or maybe it's my brushwork). Still waiting for a decent day to get the furniture out of the garage and into the garden so I can't say how it survives the elements yet.

I used "Cuprinol Stay New" on some new teak furniture in April 2009, two months later wood badly weathered. Discolouring is mainly on horizontal surfaces.
I am now in discussions with Cuprinol.

Anyone else experienced similar problems

I used "Cuprinol Stay New" on some new teak furniture in April 2009, two months later wood badly weathered. Discolouring is mainly on horizontal surfaces.
I am now in discussions with Cuprinol.

Anyone else experienced similar problems

I forwarded some photos to Cuprinol who concluded that the discolouration was due to a case of mould/fungal attack.Once in the wood it is difficult to get rid of but sanding back to bare wood and then applying wood preserver(clear) should kill the mould. It can then be retreated with Stay New.

Stay New does include a of biocide to prevent fungal attack but obviously not enough in this particular case.
There were no signs of any mould growth prior to the application of the Stay New. The furniture was delivered already sanded and I also sanded the furniture before applying the product.

In the future I will pre treat with wood preserver if I use this product again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back