garden bench wax

manufactured by Osbourne Davey - 01489 889838

BTTT!

out comes the furniture and decide to order some Roble wax from Osbourne Davey on the above number.... But the number is unobtainable! :(

Anyone have any info?

Sponsored Links
Had trouble finding the telephone number but just to make it easier for others:

These people are really helpful and have stock the Robel Afterwax Treatment

Osborne Davey
Lippen La, Warnford, Southampton, SO32 3LE

Tel:01730 829197

:D

Osborne Davey's old number no longer works, as they have moved. It appears the new number to call to obtain Roble Wax is 01730 829 197. I am being charge £24.99 for a lire, including VAT and delivery. The nice lady says a litre should be enough for at least a couple of years, given I only have 1 bench!

Sponsored Links
Hi folks

Just purchased a roble wood Soltera table from B and Q. While looking for how to treat it I chanced upon this discussion. B and Q have given me 6 different possible treatments for the table, including Cuprinol Stay New and yacht varnish.

The B and Q lady told me they'd had no complaints about their roble wood furniture. But just in case, I e-mailed Cuprinol and sure enough Cuprinol have replied and recommend only the Roble After care Wax and given me Osbourne Davey's number!

Has anyone an item of roble wood furniture which they have treated and has remained in good nick? Can you let me know how you did it?

I don't want to spend my time waxing it every summer but hate the sound of these black spots.
The funny thing is I've read the roble wood is often used in boat building - which surely suggests there must be a way to waterproof it.

Be very grateful.

:confused:

I have tried to call Osbourne Davey re the Roble Aftercare Wax and there's a voice mail saying "the service cannot be connected".

HELP I REALLY NEED THIS WAX FOR MY NEW TABLE :confused: :LOL:

What a lovely lady at Osbourne Davey hope her boss reads this.
Will get my wax in the post.
Thanks for all the help guys.
:D :LOL:

B&Q don't have the Roble Aftercare Wax on their shelves yet!

New contact details for Osborne Davey are: -

phone number

The Old Calf Shed, Lippen Lane,
SOUTHAMPTON,
SO32 3LE

I phoned them today and they said I would get it tomorrow.

The wax costs £24.95 which includes delivery.

Whatever you do don't ask advice in B & Q about treating the roble wood. The staff don't even know what is on the shelves in their own place of work!! :rolleyes:

Waxed my table on Saturday and it looks beautiful. Thank you so much to everyone for their help. Will definately use this forum again.
:D :D :D :D

Thanks to everyone who has posted info on this forum. I wasn't sure what to do when I opened the package and discovered I couldn't use teak oil. I won't be putting my new furniture outside until I get the roble aftercare from Osborne Davey!

:D

Sorry to re-open what might be a dead thread but I've got some problems.

I bought a Harrogate table and chairs from B+Q last year. It had been pre-treated and before it went outside we put on two coats of the Roble stuff from Osbourne Davey. The table has been mostly covered or inside during bad weather but has been in the rain occasionally.

It now looks awful, the wood has gone grey and there are black marks in the grain. Is this mould? If so is there anything I can do? Should I sand it back and re-oil it? Or take it back to B+Q and complain?

Any advice welcome, we spent a fortune on a table that looks rather naff now. :(

Grey usually means the protective coating has eroded in the weather and you are looking at bare wood. Black marks are a fungal stain that can occur under oiled wood used outdoors, especially in warm humid conditions. I have also seen this black stain on varnished hardwood on boats.

If it was me, I would sand it back and re-oil, or rewax if you prefer.

I have been using Linseed oil on outdoor hardwood, and it seems fine. It is quite slow drying, though, and has a pleasant smell on warm days. I believe Tung Oil may be quicker to dry. Danish teak oil is mixed to dry fast but I do not think gives good outdoor protection. I have not had the fungal stain, but I used Cuprinol Clear preservative on the timber first, and mine is a dark mahogany which to my eye would look OK even if stained.

You can try bleaching the stains after you have sanded it, that might work. You can also use Ronson wood dyes on the bare timber after sanding, if you use a dark one then any unevenness will not show.

My softwood items I use a water-based shed and fence stain on, which is very quick and easy to apply, and leaves an opaque waxy, water-repellent film, and I have also used it on teak trim. I use dark colours.

Honestly, I think any timber product used outdoors is going to age with exposure to the weather, it is not going to look like a french-polished sideboard.

Hi - have just found the new phone number for Osborne Davey Ltd who are the only ones I can find who sell anything suitable to protect Roble Wood.

Number is now: 01730 829197 not the number on older posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back