Garden Fence Dimensions Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Due to my mum's dog!! I now have 3 holes in my fences leading to next doors garden :(

The posts are concrete so I'd like to just replace the panels however, I have measured the existing panels and they are 70" wide - all new panels I have seen are 72" (6') and will not fit.

Are 70" wide panels available or would I need to cut them down?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
a lot of suppliers of fence panels make them on-site. i suppose they are set up on a jig and stapled together, the jig being set up for panels of 6'-0" wide and at 1'-0" height increments.

I'm sure for a bit extra per panel a manufacturer will make yours to suit?

70" is a peculiar width??

Sorry to imply this, but are you sure you measured the width of a panel, not the width between the posts> Concrete posts have a slot in them which, by memory, is about an inch deep.........

Yes, I agree it's a strange width - I actually found out the hard way - when I first moved in I needed 2 new fence panels and bought standard 6' width - when I went to slot them in with a mate it was kinda like 'over to you a bit...no, over to you a bit, no it can't....oh bugger!!' and had to trim them down (hard work!!)

Sponsored Links
altoough fencing companies will make you panels to fit the 70"gap

but as already been said this 70" is a strange size as the concrete gravel boards are manufactured at a standard size of 6FT or 1.83m,these are made from plastic moulds and come a standard size!

i would check the measurement between the rebates of the posts mate you'll probably find that the size between rebates is around the 6ft mark ;)

A fencing company may make them up for you, but it will be a bit more expensive than off teh shelf ones.

Its very easy to cut down the panels. Carefully remove the two end battens from each side at one end. Mark the panel to the size you want and replace the battens (screwing them is just as easy as nailing them. It is now very easy to trim the excess fence off that is protruding past the battens.

Thread is 9 months old - hopefully the OP has fixed his fence by now, or has lost the dogs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back