Garden Lighting - PVC or SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just need a bit of advise. I am recently Part P registered and this is my first garden work. I am not a full time sparky and most of my work is for friends, familied and neighbours and has all been internal.

However, I have been asked to install 14 brick lights along a wall 75 feet long!
The wall will be rendered after the cabling has been done.

I've looked through the reference books and provided the cable is protected, can I can use standard PVC cable, as it is being rendered and therefore concealed from the elements. I will be running the cable along the base of the wall and then vertically to each light.

Also to reach the first light, there is a run of 30' to the power in the garage, though this will be done on the reverse of the wall, out of sight. Can this be done in PVC cable, and PVC conduit as it is above ground and not at risk to the elements?

I understand all the technical requirements for RCd's , cable size etc, (electronic engineer is my profession), just come a little unstuck with type of cable. the brick lights have a very small cable inlet that will probably rule out armoured.

Any advise welcome.

Sponsored Links
The rules on concealed cables don't apply to internal walls only, despite all the drawings in guide books making it look as if they do.

Therefore a cable along the base of the wall is not OK, unless it's in earthed metal conduit, or is armoured etc...

Hi

thanks for reply, Armoured cable to 14 lights will be a nightmare.
Will need to allow for that when quoting

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back