garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i've got an outside light on the wall which is switched from indoors, i would like to remove the light to fit spotlights up the garden.

Im after a bit of advice as if this is the right way to go about it.

I want to remove the light and fit a IP56 junction box on the wall and run 2.5 swa cable along the side wall, this will then be buried into the ground as it runs up the garden.

The spot lights will then be connected to the cable as it runs around the garden, fitting about 5 mains spot lights, when it gets to the decking i will connect it to a transformer and connect LV deck lights.

Or would i be better fitting LV spotlights with 3 lights on one transformer and fitting a couple of transformers around the garden and the decking.

Thanks

Bret

Sponsored Links
what type of spotlights? are they going in the ground?

you dont need 2.5 swa providing your not running 200 miles of it.
a neater way of terminating the exixting light would be glanding it into a meatl stop end box.if low voltage(which i would recommend) its a much better job to use a seperate tranny for each light.they do go down from time to time so better to lose 1 light than all of them.

sorry if i missed the point ,im two thirds of the way through a nice cabernet!

Sorry was a bit worst for wear last night as well.

The run is going to be about 50 - 60ft around the garden, i have looked at LV lights with separate transformer which would be easier and i will give them a try .
What size cable do you recomend?
a neater way of terminating the exixting light would be glanding it into a meatl stop end box
Im not sure what you mean, are you talking about the end of the cable run and terminating with a Metal box.

Thanks for a quick reply

Bret[/quote]

use 1.5mm swa mate.use a metal conduit box with the right number of spouts on it for each light.take a flylead off each box to earth the metalwork at each termination point.for each box use a gasket and lid to keep it waterproof with your connector block inside it,which you will tape up.

get a stuffing gland for each light fitting and use one of your spouts to terminate the flex on the light fitting on each box.

usual format for this would be each light having an in and out of swa so you will need a tee box for these,with a u box or through or angle(anything with 2 spouts to suit your application )for your final light

Sponsored Links
Hi

That all makes sense and looks easier than i expected, thanks for youre help and quick reply.

Cheers

Bret

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back