Sponsored Links
just wondered if routing the cables myself would fall inside or outside the allowed work I could do.
Anyone can do anything themselves - a few items need to be notified to building control, but as that involves completing a building notice and paying a fee, you can do that yourself as well if it is required.

licensed electrician
No such thing in the UK.

I will be getting any wiring signed off and completed by a qualified electrician
What exactly do you mean by that?
Testing / inspection to confirm it's safe / coimplies with BS7671?
Notification for building control?
Other?
This is not a trivial question - plenty of people have totally incorrect assumptions about electricians can/cannot do, and what the law actually requires.

I am not entirely sure of the consumer unit required. Is this a simple 2 way i.e. one for lighting and one for mains ring?
If it's just for a couple of sockets and a light, you may not need a CU at all.

As for saving time - to install a few cables in a stud frame as shown would not take more than a hour or two at most, so how much money do you really expect to be saving?

Ultimately there are 2 realistic options - either you install this stuff yourself, or you pay someone else to do it for you.

Doing bits yourself and having someone else to do the rest isn't likely to work, as the total cost of this very small installation will already be rather low, and saving a few quid by installing a couple of cables will discourage most/all electricians from even quoting a price for it.

Snipped...
Anyone can do anything themselves - a few items need to be notified to building control, but as that involves completing a building notice and paying a fee, you can do that yourself as well if it is required.

Doing bits yourself and having someone else to do the rest isn't likely to work, as the total cost of this very small installation will already be rather low, and saving a few quid by installing a couple of cables will discourage most/all electricians from even quoting a price for it.

Where I live, I had a similar job done almost as cheaply as the fee the council wanted. I felt/feel able to do the work, and wanted to. The electrician was happy for me to lay out the SWA for him, and adjusted the price accordingly (slightly!).

Sponsored Links

Testing / inspection to confirm it's safe / coimplies with BS7671?
Notification for building control?
Other?
This is not a trivial question - plenty of people have totally incorrect assumptions about electricians can/cannot do, and what the law actually requires.
Probably all of the above, but from what I've read work for such electrical will fall under no notice required if carried out by qualified electrician. If done by DIYer then building control will need to be notified.

As for saving time - to install a few cables in a stud frame as shown would not take more than a hour or two at most, so how much money do you really expect to be saving?
valid point. Actually more for the speed of getting it done as no one available immediately and I want to install the insulation but can't really until wiring installed.

Ultimately there are 2 realistic options - either you install this stuff yourself, or you pay someone else to do it for you.

Appreciate that would be far from ideal, just like knowing all details myself to understand what's involved and what to expect cost wise. Will most likely just get electrician to do all the wiring (apart from SWA which is buried already) then hopefully avoid getting building control in if I've understood the regs properly.

Where I live, I had a similar job done almost as cheaply as the fee the council wanted. I felt/feel able to do the work, and wanted to. The electrician was happy for me to lay out the SWA for him, and adjusted the price accordingly (slightly!).

That was sort of my point. I enjoy doing as much a possible and why should I pay an electrician spend a day digging a huge trench to lay a cable! I wasn't expecting to install the wiring, but appreciate if I'm getting them to do most of it, they would prefer to do all of it... it was more a matter of getting on with it as I have to wait for electrician to do the wiring before installing the insulation. If I know where the wiring will go I can at least get on with most of the insulation.

You are missing the point.

Not for some people on the internet.

no notice required if carried out by qualified electrician. If done by DIYer then building control will need to be notified
Not quite - whether work needs to be notified or not does not depend on who does it, but an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme such as NICEIC, NAPIT, etc can notify at a much lower cost than an individual householder.

No, you don't need to 'ring' the lighting.
You don't need to 'ring' the sockets either.

You don't need 1.5mm cable for lights either. 1.0mm is perfectly adequate and cheaper.

Is the CU in the house RCD protected? If so you don't need or want another in the garden office. More money you can save!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back