Garden wall cost (with details)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone tell me whether to build a rear garden wall and fence line with the following spec, for £9k is good value?

25m straight length
600mm concrete foundation
1000mm height wall (double skin and allowing for upto 49p bricks)
0.8m to 1m fence to sit on the wall's flat coping stone
Brick columns with pier caps every 2m
No disposal costs as existing soil will be used for raised beds and existing rotting fence will be left in place (so building out into our garden due to difficult neighbour)

We are based on the outskirts of London. Our sub-soil type is ballast, so no clay.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How is a fence going to sit on top of the wall?:confused:

Apart from costing mebbe a grand less up here I cant say you are being ripped off or have the bargain of the century, especially without seeing the job.

How is a fence going to sit on top of the wall?:confused:

Apart from costing mebbe a grand less up here I cant say you are being ripped off or have the bargain of the century, especially without seeing the job.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fence+on+walls&cr=countryUK|countryGB&es_sm=93&biw=1280&bih=939&tbs=ctr:countryUK|countryGB&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIz97g87_lxwIVh38aCh2xiw5x

Lots of examples there, have you never come across any in person? I've see a few people do them, looks quite nice and cheaper than having a very high wall.

Surely these must be a way someone here can price this approximately given the conditions I mention? When you say you have to see the job, what more information would you ordinarily require?

You gave the impression you were fixing the fence to the coping.

If you intend taking the pillars up in order to deal with the fence then fair enough. Or if you fix elongated posts to the wall below, then fair enough.

Fixing to the coping won't work and will blow over in a fart.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure of the exact technicalities but just describing the theme so far.

But back to the original question, if this was in your area and conditions as described, what would you price this job at, give or take a grand?

I'm not sure of the exact technicalities but just describing the theme so far.
How does someone quote based upon this?
A wall with full height pillars is completely different (price wise) to one that has them terminate at 1m. Those images show walls of varying design with large fluctuations in cost.

To add full height pillars to a wall over 25m at intervals of 2m would be and increase of £000's
When you say you have to see the job, what more information would you ordinarily require?
Logistics; In particular, the distance from the delivery point to the job itself.
Access; both for deliveries and access to the rear.
Woking access; i.e. does the neighbours existing fence create a problem.
Terrain; is the ground level or up and down like a fiddlers elbow.
Ground/soil conditions.
Services; i.e. drains etc.

Last edited:
Ok let try a different question. How many standard bricks would it ordinarily take to build a 1m high and 1m wide wall (double skin) and how many bricks would be required to build a standard column (assuming all ground is level).

What are the widths abd depths of most well built columns?

Thanks, appreciate your feedback.

Calculate 60 bricks per m2

Each course is 75mm - so 4 courses is 300mm
Each brick allow 225mm - so 4.5 bricks is 1012.5mm

A 1.5 brick width column (330mm) has 4 bricks per course - a 2 brick width column (440mm) has 6 bricks per course. Plus any infill bricks, so 1/2 to 2 per course.

13 course (975mm) x 4.5 brick (1012.5mm) = 60 bricks x 2 = 120 bricks for a double skinned wall.

As Noseall says, there's a lot more to factor in than just this but it'll give you a start. For starters, the columns can be constructed as piers within the wall and depending on their role will depend how they're built. A single skin garage with a brick pier can just be one extra brick per course.

I'm not a bricky BTW!

Is there any point to all this?
Get an accurate spec' drawn up then get as many quotes as you need. Unless all the builders are singing from the same song sheet, there is no point in comparing quotes.

Zero spec' = trusted builder X1. Otherwise get designing and get typing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back