Gardens now green field

Biggest problem I can see in the future is these NIMBY's.
Very droll. :unsure:

'Not In My Back Yard' is what the planning change says too. About half the corner plot back yards in my 1930s neighbourhood have now been developed. I think most of these developments have no back garden of their own. Fashions change; many of the posh 200 year old listed buildings near the town centre had no significant back garden either. These have now almost all been converted to flats.

It seems that once an area reaches 100 years old, its façade gets preserved. This only gives us about 20 years before 1930s garden suburbs start to get listed status. Then they are destined to be badly converted to bed-sits with back gardens used as car parks, just like the Victorian family homes before them. Maybe it is better to start razing them now. :confused:

My sympathies are divided. Should we protect the over-valued price of properties in 'nice' areas at the expense of first time buyers and the majority of people who cannot afford to live there? I have to bear in mind that most of my savings are tied up in one of these over-valued houses. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi All

As I understand the statement from Goverment this week - it means that whether permission is given or not is back with LA - rather than a developer buying a house with a large plot - demoloshing house then building a small estate - which could be pushed through due too it being "brown site".

So building now just needs to pass local planning process as before - is that bad?

TonyV

It's a fair point except planners have a general presumption against development so to assume they will take a sensible view is almost always wrong. I have a planning appeal in at present. which should be meeting on site any time now, so it will be interesting to see whether the inspector mentions it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back