Gardiner Technology - Gardtec 816

Hey - denford, saxondale and europlex - thanks for all your help with my project so far.

I've connected up a remote keypad, a PIR and an external box, then powered up my GardTec 816 panel. Luckily for me, the engineer code has been reset to 1234, so I was able to stop it making a noise.

I have a couple of further questions...

1. There's a remote keypad tamper error, even though - the lid is closed, so I'm not sure why this is. There's four jumpers to tell the control panel which ID they keypad is. What configuration of jumpers to I need to tell ID number 1?

put the link on the pins labelled 1 - stretch the spring a little too, check the keypad options that only 1 is selected

2. The second problem is a zone expander tamper error. On top of the main board there's a zone expander plugged in. Although it's plugged in, there's no wires going from this to the main board - is this right, or are these additional connects for when you want to use a zone expander, but don't want to plug it directly onto the board? As well as the tamper spring for the main control box, there's also a smaller tamper spring that goes through the zone expander board. Does this do anything, or does anything have to close this switch?

programme the zone expander off if your not using it

3. When I finally connect up the PIRs, what configuration of wire colours is it best to use, or do all alarm companies use different configurations? I guess it's best to use red for +12v and black for -12v, but what about the tamper and alarm colours - or do I just use whatever I like, then stick to it for the whole installation?

use whatever you like - just make a note for future reference but I would consider using EOL resisters too

you got the manual ?

Sponsored Links
Saxondale - you're an absolute legend - thanks for your continued help.

I know that it's highly unlikely, but if you ever buy yourself a Vincent Motorcycle, log onto the forum that I run (www.vincentownersclub.co.uk) and I'd love to be able to return the favour.

Anyway, back to the continuing saga of the alarm that I'm going to install at my Mother's house...

1. I've cured the tamper on the keypad now, and changed the ID to number one, so we're all OK on that.

2. I've still got a tamper showing on the zone expander board. Ideally I'd like to have it running, but if not, I'll have to live without it and do away with a couple of the panic buttons that I've got planned. I've actually got 3 of these zone expander boards that came with it, and on the boxes, it says they're all compatible with a 816 and 840 panel.
I've tried all of them, but I still get the same message on the keypad when I power it up.
I've made sure all four of the tamper zone links are in place, and I've also tried it with the zone expander jumper on ID1 and also removed it completely. There is also a link in place between the two TMP terminals at the top of the board.
I've tried removing the board completely, but it still shows a tamper error on the zone expander.

You mentioned programming the zone expander off - how do I go about doing this. I have got an installation manual, but can't find out too much about this.

3. I understand what you're saying about using all the same colour scheme throughout the installation, so that's no problem. I have got stacks of resisters, but I'm not sure how to install them, or even where! Do they just go on PIR detectors or on everything? Does it matter which way round they go?

Saxondale - you're an absolute legend - thanks for your continued help.

I know that it's highly unlikely, but if you ever buy yourself a Vincent Motorcycle, log onto the forum that I run (www.vincentownersclub.co.uk) and I'd love to be able to return the favour.

LOL I`ve got a bantam in the garage (not been started since 77 so who knows)

Anyway, back to the continuing saga of the alarm that I'm going to install at my Mother's house...

1. I've cured the tamper on the keypad now, and changed the ID to number one, so we're all OK on that.

2. I've still got a tamper showing on the zone expander board. Ideally I'd like to have it running, but if not, I'll have to live without it and do away with a couple of the panic buttons that I've got planned. I've actually got 3 of these zone expander boards that came with it, and on the boxes, it says they're all compatible with a 816 and 840 panel.
I've tried all of them, but I still get the same message on the keypad when I power it up.
I've made sure all four of the tamper zone links are in place, and I've also tried it with the zone expander jumper on ID1 and also removed it completely. There is also a link in place between the two TMP terminals at the top of the board.
I've tried removing the board completely, but it still shows a tamper error on the zone expander.

zones - zone wiring - zone expanders - programme off the unused ones but if you go EOL youve got 16 zones onboard now so you might not need to use any of the expanders

3. I understand what you're saying about using all the same colour scheme throughout the installation, so that's no problem. I have got stacks of resisters, but I'm not sure how to install them, or even where! Do they just go on PIR detectors or on everything? Does it matter which way round they go?

6k8 goes across the alarm pair and the 4k7 links across to one of the tamper terminals - someone posted a diagram recently

Thanks Saxondale

I'm really p****d off I can't get that expander module working, but I've tried everything I can think of, so I can waste any more of my life worrying about it! LOL

I think the software version I've got (v2.6) must be slightly different to what you're talking about.

I go to Engineer Mode: Programme Zones: Programme Zone Wiring: I've set it to 8 (4 wire). I did try it on 12 (4 wire) with the expander installed (which is what I would have expected it to be - 8 standard plus 4 on the expander), but I got the bloody tamper error again.

Anyway, as I said, I've gone for 8 zones (4 wire) - and will leave it as this, unless you've got a last suggestion for a fix?

I'm testing the whole system on the bench before I install it at my mother's place next weekend (wish me luck!). I've got the control box, remote keypad, external sounder, Interguard 2 internal sounder and a single PIR. Everything seems to work fine, so fingers crossed!

When I install for real at my Mother's place, I'll look up that thread on resistors to see how they go.

Finally, how do I programme a Master User Code? In the instructions, it says you need this Master User code in order to be able to programme all the other user codes. I can't find out what the default is, or if you need to set it up from the Engineer's menu.

As these expander modules are no good to me (I've got 3), is there any value on ebay to them, or do I just dump then, or could you make use of them?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Saxondale

I'm really p****d off I can't get that expander module working, but I've tried everything I can think of, so I can waste any more of my life worrying about it! LOL

I think the software version I've got (v2.6) must be slightly different to what you're talking about.

I go to Engineer Mode: Programme Zones: Programme Zone Wiring: I've set it to 8 (4 wire). I did try it on 12 (4 wire) with the expander installed (which is what I would have expected it to be - 8 standard plus 4 on the expander), but I got the b****y tamper error again.

Anyway, as I said, I've gone for 8 zones (4 wire) - and will leave it as this, unless you've got a last suggestion for a fix?

I'm testing the whole system on the bench before I install it at my mother's place next weekend (wish me luck!). I've got the control box, remote keypad, external sounder, Interguard 2 internal sounder and a single PIR. Everything seems to work fine, so fingers crossed!

When I install for real at my Mother's place, I'll look up that thread on resistors to see how they go.

Finally, how do I programme a Master User Code? In the instructions, it says you need this Master User code in order to be able to programme all the other user codes. I can't find out what the default is, or if you need to set it up from the Engineer's menu.

As these expander modules are no good to me (I've got 3), is there any value on ebay to them, or do I just dump then, or could you make use of them?

sorry - took my eye of the ball,the 816 only takes 2 expanders in total and they were specific on a system that old to that model, if the expanders have a line of pins at the top numbered 1 to 8 then there for the never version and so no good for that panel - sEbay you might get a tenner each ?

set the zone types for 16 (eol)

master code (5678 ) is just user number 1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back