Garvan mains alarm - a few issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've just bought a place and knew that one of the mains connected smoke alarms was missing so I replaced it as a temporary measure with a battery powered one to be on the safe side. But last night the alarms went off during cooking and I couldn't turn them off at all! The guys from downstairs came round after hearing the noise and told us it always happens to them and the only way to stop it is to turn it off at the mains. This is obviously a bit drastic, but we had to do it.

I kept trying to turn back on the mains supply to the alarms but they just kept going off so I narrowed it down to the offending unit and I guess that's why there was one missing in the first place because they kept going off! I'm now trying to see if there's any way to get a replacement without paying an electrician to fit a brand new full set and wire them up but I cannot seem to find any that match this model.

The model is a Garvan SS-1208S. Does anyone know if there's anywhere that still sells these or if there's a compatible model I can use in place of this one?

Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
So let me get this right.

When the mains is turned off the whole system dies?

No battery back up.

So, and I hope not, a fire starts burns thru a cable supplying the "detectors" and you die as well.

Time to rethink about replacing like for like and getting something that might actually save your families, and your life.

New build? Any guarantees? Warranties?

So let me get this right.

When the mains is turned off the whole system dies?

No battery back up.

So, and I hope not, a fire starts burns thru a cable supplying the "detectors" and you die as well.

Time to rethink about replacing like for like and getting something that might actually save your families, and your life.

New build? Any guarantees? Warranties?

Yep I think it's ridiculous that there's no battery backup. Although, they did still chirp after the power was cut to them, so I'm guessing they're doing something. Also, we have a single battery powered one at the moment, but I'm going to get a couple more and put them up as a temporary measure. I'm well aware that we need working smoke alarms in place!

It's not a new build no, and we were aware that the alarm system is old.

I know that Garvan at least used to make units with battery backup, so that's why I'd like to get replacement units that would fit my setup.

Even their site looks dodgy TBH.

What have you got in the back plate? A live (line) Neutral and link?
If so rip it all out and fit Aico.

You could even have one mains fed and the resst wireless if its a headache.

Sponsored Links
Even their site looks dodgy TBH.

What have you got in the back plate? A live (line) Neutral and link?
If so rip it all out and fit Aico.

You could even have one mains fed and the resst wireless if its a headache.

That's right a back plate and then 3 wires which I assume are live, neutral and link as you say. I'll have a look at Aico then thanks!

What sort of cost do you think we're looking at to fit 4 smoke alarms and 1 heat alarm? (That's what's in the flat currently).

You could consider the ei range as we have thoses fitted and the back battery life is massive :mrgreen:

You could consider the ei range as we have thoses fitted and the back battery life is massive :mrgreen:

What I'd like to do is to fit new ones to the existing connector. Does anyone know if it's a standard one? It looks a bit like a standard 4 pin connector you get on computer power supplies to plug into peripherals, except with 1 pin missing and a notch to match up with the unit's socket.

I'm guessing it's not standard and I'll just need to replace by wiring in the new boxes, but worth a try to get ones that fit the existing connectors!

The connections are via "Choc Block" in the back of the fitting.
You will probably not be able to swap existing connections (Plug and Play, god people are so lazy now).

Just a swap over and job done.

Then TEST everything, TWICE.

Then do a monthly test with each detector in rotation.................................................................sounds like a pain in the arse?
What is your family worth?

In fact all reading this........................CHECK YOUR SMOKE ALARMS EVERY MONTH, what is 30 mins compared to a life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back