Gas and Electricity Hikes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Secure was telling me about something on R5L this am about EDF prices. Customer currently paying £190 per month being told it will go up to £400 and then ultimately £900.

That can't be right, can it?

Sponsored Links
I think we'll have to get cut off if it goes that high!.

Seems excessive, I've just had a letter from octopus as my fixed finishes in April, if I want to fix again for 12m it will go up from £80pm to approx £179, if I drop onto their variable it will be £89 a month but then I'll get stung in October with the next price cap rise or I can have a loyal customer fixed for 12m which is £171pm

All the above depends on usage so will be slightly less as we don't use much in our household.

So yes £100 a month hike is a chunk if I go fixed but its not the double or triple figures mentioned in the op.

chris

if you are on a fixed price deal going onto the "standard tarrif thats around 40% +54% for next months price rise
have they chosen a new contract where the cap doesnt apply
in other words an interaction and a choice rather than"DO NOTHING" as the cheapest option in the short term??

Sponsored Links
Martin Lewis has advised that there are no fixed rate contracts to switch to that will save you more than staying with the variable right now.
(There is one for existing EDF customers).
Get ya thermals out and buy a few more fleeces.

They're saying could (will?) be another round of price increases in October or thereabouts.

What is our longer term strategy to be more self sufficient energy wise? More wind turbines?

I bought 500lts of home oil 2 days ago.
It cost £607, 3 weeks ago the same amount would have cost around £385.
Out of curiosity, i priced 500lts of home heating oil today, the price was £715.
Prices are going throw the roof, what about people on low or fixed incomes, they are going to get screwed.
According to Boris "we" the people are going to have to pay a price to defeat Putin.
However what he really means some people are going to pay a heavier price than others

We've just got nicely settled again money wise and this is going to be a bit of a disaster but what can you do.

:( It will all cost what ever it will unless it's subsidised some how. The current efforts in that direction are just a one off and due to supply and demand issues, having to pay top prices for gas to get it. Then comes you know what which wont have been accounted for. Some countries will go more liquid gas quickly increasing demand for that. I don't know what proportion we use but we do import it. Install 1,000,000 wind turbines and those have to be paid for as well.

People with wood fired back boilers are feeling very smug

That's what I want.

But I'd like to run it in tandem with our gas system and I just don't know if that is possible

If fuel prices keeping going up i may invest in one of these.
Apparently plastic is over 90% oil mixed with a plasticer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back